Did anyone NOT get an infant carrier? Would you do it differently?

My sons were both huge! 8 and 9 lbs at birth and had outgrown thier infant carriers before they were six months old. This time around I am thinking about going straight for the convertable seat. I plan on using a sling for him/her most of the time anyway. So for those of you who did not get an infant carrier, did you miss the convenience of the carrier? Was the baby ok in the stroller without the carrier?

mamasitax2

Asked by mamasitax2 at 11:51 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• are you meaning one other than the carseat itself? we got the carseat/carrier.....a sling doesn't help when you have to put a baby in the car...
    Anonymous

• I really hope your not talking about putting a baby in a convertible seat in the car. That's selfish and ignorant.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:53 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Alot of convertable carseats start at 5lb and 19 inches. Whats selfish? lol. I have 3 friends that didnt get infant carriers. Just convertables and they liked it.
    Anonymous

• I did not get an infant seat with my first, he was 9 lbs and went right into a convertible. I would have done the same with my next 2 but they were really small premies. I HATE the carrier car seats! They weigh at ton, I find it much easier to just carry the baby/wear them in a sling. Lots of recent research is now showing it is not good for them to be in those carriers anyway, that they should only be in them in the car. Plus, I see so many babies who are held so much less. They are put in the car seat then taken out in it at the store, then clicked into the stroller then back in the car and back home, the whole time never being held. I don't think that is good for them.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:57 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• The only place I have ever used the carseat was in the car. I never used it to carry my baby to and from places. Mostly because I had a back problem anyway and wouldn't have been able to. I used a sling and my stroller had a 5 point harness to keep the child in place. Sometimes I would prop rolled up blankets on the sides for good measure.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:57 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Ok apparently I did not make myself clear which lead to people automatically assuming the worst and jumping my shit!

I mentioned the sling meaning that I would not be using the infant carrier seat outside of the car very much.

By convertible seat I meant convertible carseat...I am looking at the Greco MyRide 65... http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4024413 There is the link to the one we are looking at.

Now back to the original question...did anyone miss having the infant carrier to use OUTSIDE of the vehicle?
    mamasitax2

Answer by mamasitax2 at 11:59 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Thank you ladies who responded nicely...were my hormones showing in my earlier response lol.
    mamasitax2

Answer by mamasitax2 at 12:02 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• My husband uses one in his car. He likes it..but then again he's strong and broad shouldered and carries it like it weighs nothing. I can't stand lugging around 10-15 pounds of molded plastic holding a 8 - double digit pound baby. It's ridiculous. Using the convertible carseat was awkward in the newborn stage, but well worth it overall (they never fit quite right even in the infant seats anyway). I prefered wearing my baby. A 6 months she liked riding in a cart part of the time.

I've seen too many babies sitting uncomfortably in them or being denied being picked up and people navigating those huge travel systems just to go into the store for five minutes. It's bizarre.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:05 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• We put a convertable in my parents car for our first baby when he was tiny and these were the problems we encountered. A couple things to consider.... 1) a lot of convertable car seats SAY they fit newborns, but they are WAY too big. Do your homework, read reviews on multiple websites and find one that real moms are using with newborns and it fits them well. 2) if its gets cold where you live in the winter and your baby will be very young during those months, a convertable car seat may make leaving the house more challenging. Infant carriers are nice because you can simply put a zip up cover on the carrier and not have to bundle up baby. If you are carrying baby in and out of places in your arms, baby will need to be all bundled up while outside, then unbundled inside to keep from over heating and its kind of a pain.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 12:34 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• With my first son I used the carseat to bring him into the store and put the seat inside the cart for the first few months and it just felt wrong because it wasn't really convenient and I hated having to carry that damned car seat. With this baby now I use the infant seat only in the car and to carry the baby in the house because I prefer to keep the car seat inside (for reasons I honestly don't know). I always take him out of the carseat and put him in a sling when we go to the store, it's easier I don't have to worry about leaving my cart the baby is calmer, the only down side for me is that I have a bad leg and it hurts sometimes from the stress of hte extra weight, but honestly I'll get over it to make grocery shopping with a baby this much easier.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Jun. 18, 2010