Praying

If your life is basically predetermined by God, and if he gives you what you need instead of what you want, then why do people pray? I want to believe so badly, but I just have so many unanswered questions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• www.lds.org, www.mormon.org......
    Heavenly Father knows what's going to happen because He is all knowing....but you still have to make choices, you still have to have faith and rely on Him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Everyone is sure to have a strong opinion on this. I was very religious for many years. My whole family is religious and prayer is a daily routine. I personally have never found prayer to be of any help at all, especially in a crises. I am not slamming prayer because I know it's a deeply personal thing for most people. All I know is that the whole world is suffering and praying and nothing seems to help, least of all prayer. Surely most everyone will disagree and I will respect their opinion but I think prayer is much too important a concept to be dishonest about. No matter how much we want it to work and think that it should, it just doesn't seem to. The idea that it will work if only you have enough faith is just wishful thinking and designed to make us feel guilty for not being perfect enough for God to bless with his Love. Thats my perspective... Sorry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• if you are trying to force yourself to believe, maybe you should stop and reconsider what you're doing. If you don't feel comfortable with the unanswered questions (which there are endless amounts of!) you should really start looking into what feels right for you
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• and this a good one, good on you for being intelligent enough to question and not just blindly believe! although noone will be able to answer as the subject is fictional (u will only receive guesses and interpretations).
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:10 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I love anon. :05's answer!!!!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:12 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• prayer is simply wishful thinking, and for some (especially where bio functions and recoveries are concerned) it is an effective tool that they use in times of great need, ie illness.

You are correct to question, and ultimately, you may find that your answers come in the most logical, ration possible way- simply that there are NO answers. :) Believe what your mind can rationalize. If you have to will yourself to believe it, then you never truly will.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:29 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Our Father in Heaven knows us, and knows what we need. The purpose of prayer is so that we can exercise the faith that we have in Him to help us. If we don't ask, He wont give it, because that is showing no faith. I challenge you to pray and ask your questions, and then be receptive to the experiences you have in the next few months...your answers will come.
    nuskin0818

Answer by nuskin0818 at 11:15 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Sometimes the answer to a prayer is "no"

Answer by rkoloms at 12:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Frankly whether you're religious or not I see praying as simply comfort for the person. Same with spells, charms, etc. They don't actually result in anything physical. What they do is give comfort to the person praying if the issue is personal, or if it's in regards to someone else it comforts them knowing someone is thinking about them. It doesn't change an outcome or determine an answer. It simly a tool for comfort and hope.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:38 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Prayer is the art of appearing to be doing something when you are actually doing NOTHING. If your god is as you believe, all-knowing, all-seeing, and all powerful, then he already knows what you are going to pray for and he knows what his answer is going to be. The problem will play out according to his will whether you like it or not, right? Then there is no point to praying. God will do what he wants to do. He is the master. You are the slave. The slave doesn't get to decide the direction of his or her life. Slaves don't get to decide whether they get punished or not. And, IMO, praise is also pointless. Kissing the non-existant divine ass won't get you anywhere, either.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 3:09 PM on Jun. 18, 2010