My daughter is big and tall and we are going to visit some people who tell us that,what to do?

We are going to visit my sister in law and my husbands brother soon and I'm worried they are going to point out,oh she' so big and tall like everybody says.They don't have children so,I know she's jealous of me,she has said before.I'm embarassed by how big and tall my daughter is, she's 8 and looks 10.I'm hoping I can meet other moms with big kids on here,I need the encouragement.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What the hell....your embarassed of your daughter?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• sounds like you are the one with the issue...alot of kids are big and their parents are not embarrassed or even worried what others think.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• What's wrong with being big? When I was in second grade everyone thought I was in 5th. When I was 10 our neighbor thought I was 14 and offered me a job. I'm all grown up now and I'm 5 feet 11, 190 inches tall, 190 pounds (not pregnant) and quite happy about it.

It's hard to be a "big girl" sometimes, but instead of trying to shelter her, boost her confidence in being tall! There are all kinds of good things about being tall. You carry weight better (I can gain 20 pounds and look almost exactly the same), your pelvis is roomy so giving birth is usually easier, and men LOVE long legs ;) You know you won't get hit on by a bunch of jerks looking for a one night stand, you get serious inquiries only. And height demands respect... CEOs of companies are on average several inches taller than the general population. If you help her see the beauty of it, she will take those comments as compliments (which they are!)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:06 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• you just have to have snappy come backs.....like yeah she is tall but she will be a great basketball player!... or yeah we accidently put miracle grow in her food last week.. right now it's late and can't really think of anything good but the best way to deal with comments is to be a witty smart-butt
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I was big and tall when I was young...and I'm thankful my parents weren't embarassed of me. I agree with anon 12:05.....it sounds like you are the one with the issue!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Oops, that's 5 feet 11 inches and 190 pounds lol. Sorry for the typo.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:07 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• No not like that,you see I'm tall too, and I get sick of hearing how TALL I am.I'm sick of hearing how tall my daughter is.My daughter has said she hates being tall so it's going to be tough to raise her.After writing this question I have to remeber that her aunt and uncle really love her and want the best for her,hell they have spent alot of money with gifts to her,so if they say the big word,I'll have to forgive them because we are both tall and to the average person that's special-to them it's a eye opener.
    Anonymous

• both my daughter and nephew are tall for their ages. (they are 2 1/2 and about the size of a 3 or 4 year old). They've always been taller for their ages, but always healthy and that is all that matters. Actually I'm glad my DD is taller, lol. I was a shrimp growing up and guess what.. I still am. That may mean she has her dad's legs (he's got skinny girly legs, while I have muscular legs, lol).

Either way, I wouldn't worry about your DD being tall, for all you know she could be a super model when she get's older.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:11 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Any good Psychologist would tell you that even if you don't think so your daughter can sense that you are embarrassed of her. Which cannot be a good thing. I think you should try to find out, why you're embarrassed by your daughter and not accepting of her no matter what. There a many moms on here who's kids have alot more issues than looks, alot of kids have disabilities. Maybe you could be thankful that you have a healthy child. Other people can also sense how you feel too. Like your sister in law and husbands brother.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• op- I think she's more insecure about her height because you are about your own. Sometimes our own insecurities rub off on our children.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:13 AM on Jun. 18, 2010