fussiness and breastfeeding trouble

my daughter is a month and a half old, we had a rough start breastfeeding but finally got it going. this last week she has been unusually fussy and when she latches on she will drink for a couple minutes then start crying and let go of the nipple then latch back on and off continuously . she acts as tho she doesnt like the milk. her dr. said to stop drinking milk cuz she seems very gassy...still hasnt improved. its getting tio the point where her fussiness is driving me crazy and i feel so bad for her if she is in discomfort and i cant do anything about it. she has been so gassy and screaming during feeedings.... anyone else goes thru something similar? any other foods to avoid? hot sauce? also any info on brestfeeding and chewing tobacco?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do you maybe have a forceful letdown? Have you been to www.kellymom.com?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:24 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• OH, also join the breastfeeding moms group. It can be hard to respond to a breastfeeding question in answers because of text limitations. a group setting is better.
    amileegirl

• thanks so much for that website. very helpful. seeing other moms with similar problem
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• if you are chewing tobacco it's more than likely affecting your breastmilk, if not in flavor then the nicotine will be passed to your daughter. Please stop, she is getting nicotine, too. Other than that, overactive letdown is probably pretty likely. As for gas, are you eating a lot of green veggies like broccoli and spinach? I noticed that when I eat a lot of green veggies my daughter is really gassy. You can try mylicon drops but I didn't notice much of a difference. She could also be an early teether, babies that are teething will act like that latch for a few, let go and cry, latch and cry. Good luck!
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:45 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Sounds like colic...

Answer by rkoloms at 10:16 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Sounds like overactive letdown/oversupply to me. Take a look at oversupply You will be so glad you did!!

As for the tobacco, really good info at Smoking and Breastfeeding the effect on your breastmilk will be thei same whether you smoke or chew.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:44 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• took her to dr..... they think it may be acid reflux, thanks everyone
    Anonymous