i'm afraid we are going to get a food stamp cut

i can't work right now cause i'm almost 9 months pregnant and when the baby is here i'll have to stay home with her cause we can't afford daycare. we are on food stamps and have only been on them since april, we just got a letter saying we have to reapply for the year even though we've only had them for 2 months. we have to have the form in by the 20th. well dh just left his job where he was making 800 dollars a month and now makes 1200dollars a month, but we are also moving into a new apartment that costs more, plus bills so we still desperately need the food stamps but i'm scared they'll cut us off cause he's making more. will they?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• All you can do is call your caseworker and explain what the logistics of the situation are......
    can I ask why your moving into a more expensive apartment? because the baby or?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• they will get reduced. how many kids do you have? You can apply for assistance for childcare therew dhs also.
    lovmyhubby

Answer by lovmyhubby at 12:19 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• yes. we have a studio and we need more room for the baby
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• noone can answer this for you. you need to send in those papers and report ALL the changes. they need to know that you are prego if they don't already! we got more food stamps when I was prego than we do now 2 years later. you will get what is entitled to you for your income bracket. and if your on f.s, I hope you are getting WIC too.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:22 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• they will take your additional expense into consideration with hubby's higher pay, if it does get cut, it shouldn't be by much
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 12:23 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• IF YOU MEET WITH YOUR SOCIAL WORKER GET AN ADVOCATE, CALL "LEGAL AID SOCIETY" THEY CAN GET YOU A REPRESENTATIVE THAT WILL HELP YOU WITH THIS.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I think everything will be accounted for...like your paying more for rent now, but your husbands money has increased....it might just break out even...but like I said, talk to your caseworker. Also...go to the health department and apply for WIC...that will help out with fruits, veggies, milk, bread and other things for you up until 6 months post pregnancy, and will provide baby food, formula if you use it and other food for the baby and family up until the the newest addition is 3 years old I believe.
    Find out ways you can cut back on bills...like no cell phones or no cable...things that aren't needed. Internet too if it's not needed for work/school! I hope things work out......talk to your caseworker tomorrow!!!! She/he should be able to give you an idea of how much they'll be cut down or what the situation will be once baby is here.
    Anonymous

• and make sure you bring or send copies of your utilitiy bills, because that deducts from your income and they may give you more. but I know for fact that there is a set amount depending on your income that does not waver with the dollar amount.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:25 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I agree with PP above.. also if they cut back some of your food stamps you can go threw WIC to get additional help or to a food pantry or church for things you can't afford because of any cut back, so don't worry, there is other help available for you.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:26 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• ANOTHER THING THAT WOULD HELP YOU TO MAINTAIN THE HELP IS TO TELL YOUR SOCIAL WORKER THAT YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT GETTING AN EDUCATION AND FINDING A JOB.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Jun. 18, 2010