I am 25 and I'm looking for my first job. I want to commit suicide because nobody is hiring me.

I am a 25 year old girl from New York. I graduated in January with a BA degree in Environmental Science. I didn't work while I was in college because I wanted to get perfect grades. I ended up with almost a 4.0 GPA. Since January, I have been looking for a job for about five months. I would like to be a wildlife ecologist or natural resources specialist. I have applied to many positions in this field, but nobody even called me for an interview. I can't get a job because I don't have any experience. Most jobs are looking for people with at least two or three years of work experience. What can I do if no one wants to hire me? I still live at home with my parents at 25! I don't want to be homeless when my parents will die. I would like to have a successful career, and a family by the time I'm 30. Lately, I have been thinking about killing myself. I never sleep at night. How can I relax and stop thinking about my situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• Wow. Killing yourself because you can't find a job. You need serious help.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:33 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• why not volunteer until you get a job? I did that in order to get hired. My husbands uncle killed himself over loosing his job so it does happen Dont know if your serious about that part. If your that depressed get some help.
    lovmyhubby

Answer by lovmyhubby at 12:34 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I know it's frustrating...my husband is in the same situation...you just have to make the best of your situation...at least your through school.....
    Don't get down on yourself because EVERYONE is struggling for jobs. If there's a place you want to work, why not start out at a lower position...or even DONATE your time at first with them...that way you can get your foot in the door in the field you want, get some expirience...even if it's a lower position and work your way upwards. Seriously , employers will jump at you for free work and in turn you show them what a good person you are, how hard you work and it gives you expirience like I said!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Cry for help ever? grow up and take charge of your life, you talk about wanting your own family but if you are on this site you should already have a family. figure out what you need to do to survive and do it!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:35 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• have you heard that we have been in a repression? Everyones having a hard time. Go volunteer somwhere and that will get you the experience, Killing yourself over a job is inmature and selfish to your family. Get some medical help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Just keep looking. Things are tough all over right now. Don't take it as a personal rejection. You might have to take a job that isn't exactly your dream job or even in your field for awhile.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:40 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• have you tried relocation? seriously. go somewhere where they need a wildlife specialist.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• @anon 12:36..... what exactly is a "repression"??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Some of these responses are harsh. Don't pay attention to them.

I had the same problem as you. Nobody would hire me because lack of experience, my husband had the same problem and so did many of our friends and this was when the economy wasn't bad! It's very uncommon to walk into your dream job right after college unless you went to school to be a doctor, lawyer, nurse or something specialized. Try to find a job that you can tolerate to get some experience. Many times you have to start from the bottom and work your way up, even with a good college education.
    I wish you the best of luck!
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 12:49 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• First of all you should stop thinking about killing yourself cuz that's not going to get you anywhere, nothing in this life is worth killing yourself especially not being able to find a job, there are tons of people out there that can't find a job after graduation. Instead of focusing about what you want before your 30 (I'm not saying that you shouldn't have goal) focus more on taking your job search to a different level, like one of the ladies said try volunteering, try going to one of the places were you want to work and ask if you can volunteer so you can learn more about the job, that way you can get your foot in the door and in the same time keep looking, employers want people who will take that extra step to get the job. Good luck don't feel down on yourself cuz your not the only one in this boat.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:50 AM on Jun. 18, 2010