Has your baby ever spit up and it came out their nose?

My 1-month-old daughter has reflux and she spits up a lot... and sometimes it comes out her nose. Her eyes get real big and she turns bright red and she won't take a breath for a while and it scares me to death! Of course, I get the bulb syringe and clear her nose out ASAP... but still.... it scares the crap out of me.

Anyway... my question is ... can this hurt her? I mean... the pediatrician said that babies breath through their nose so does that mean that she can't breathe when this happens? Or CAN they breathe through their mouth if they have to? Like if their nasal passages are blocked...?

It has never happened when I wasn't around her... I have always been there to suction her. I am just worried that if it happened while I was asleep and I didn't suction her in time that she would suffocate or something. Do you think that is even possible?

JenMarie2007

Asked by JenMarie2007 at 12:40 AM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have twin boys that are 18 months now, and for the first 9 months of thier lives they did this ALL THE TIME...especially my smaller guy. It scared the crap out of me too....but we survived it and now they don't do it. Make sure she isn't OVER eating and that she's been burped really well. I noticed they'd do it if I layed them down after eating.....try to have her propped upright after eating for at least 30 min. I know it's hard because a lot of babies go to sleep or are layed down because they fall asleep....
    Hope this helps!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 12:44 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• the first day she was born. it scared the hell out of me. but it was not the last time. i use to clean her nose out with a qtip
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:42 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Talk to your childs pedi. about this please. I cannot stand when mothers ask these type of questions on here, even if one of these people claim to be medical professionals, you don't know them from adam.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:44 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• calm down truthteller.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• My son used to do this occasionally and it scared me to death too. He always ended up being fine, and eventually grew out of it. Still, if you're concerned, talk to her doctor.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:55 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Truthteller, the pediatrician already knows about this. She said that my daughter has reflux and has already put her on Zantac. It has helped a lot ... but of course it hasn't TOTALLY eliminated the problem!
    JenMarie2007

Answer by JenMarie2007 at 1:01 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• My son did it ALL the time..like after every feeding. But he was a preemie. No, they can not breath for a while they are doing that. My son was on a heart monitor (apnea monitor) for the first 3 months he was home (after 3 months in the NICU). Your doctor can prescribe reflux medication (thats what it sounds like to me). I would call your pedi in the morning and make an appointment about it.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 1:17 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• My dd has done that so many times and it really makes her mad lol. I can imagine, I don't like having stuff up my nose either. I noticed when she would do this she would sputter for a few seconds then take a big breath through her mouth (which just fueled the scream that would come after). I asked her pediatrician and she said it was no big deal, just clean it out with a bulb syringe when it happens. Babies can breathe through their mouths if their nostrils are blocked, they just don't know they can do it on purpose yet.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:41 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Haven't you ever drank milk, laughed and had it come out your nose? Feels very weird.
    MaggiesMom208

Answer by MaggiesMom208 at 10:37 AM on Jun. 18, 2010