My 18 month old daughter is the best thing that ever happened to us but I am 7 weeks pregnant and her behavior has gotten out of control and I am finding that I have little to no patience for it.

she throws toys/food/sippy cups, hits, kicks, screams, and whines whenever she doesn't get her way and even other times when we are just playing. I feel bad because when I punish her (time out, ignore, yell, or spank/tried them all consistently for a while) she acts worse and it seems like nothing I do makes a difference. I feel like I enjoy being at work more than I do at home and it never used to be this way. I know the hormones are not helping at all but I work in the school district so it's almost summer and I am honestly worried about my sanity, my marriage, and my daughters development. Advice please. This is our first kid and I know a lot about behavior but find it so hard now that it is my own child. :( I feel like I am a bad parent because there has been more time lately than not that I don't want to be around her. Help please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• welcome to the terrible two's!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• other than ignoring the tantrums, I can only suggest mis-direction(which does not help much with my toddler either). He has a great memory now.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:49 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I've got twin 18 month olds and I think it's just the age! My little men are acting the same way. Some days are better than others....I wouldn't worry about it....just keep trying to be the best mom you can be. All kids have thier ups and downs! xoxo
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 12:50 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Thank you everyone for the responses, I find myself just crying all the time. I am such a happy person normally and feel so bad about getting so upset. I feel like I am not giving her what she needs because my fuse is always so short lately. I know it's just a phase but it's so hard to feel like what I am doing (mostly time out) is helping at all when I am not seeing ANY change in her behavior. It also makes it difficult when all my friends children who are around the same age do not seem to behave this way, and I know you can not compare children, BUT it's hard! I guess I just have to keep being consistent and know if will pay off, it's just difficult when I am so emotional and feel like all I need is some time to myself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• your pregnant too girly! on top of having to deal with an 18 month old....your emotions are going up and down all the time! Everyone elses kids don't ever seem as bad as your own! lol I always tell my friends that thier kids are so nice and well behaved and they say "yeah until i'm home with them!" lol Keep up the good work mama!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 12:56 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Studies have found that leaving the TV on for long periods of time in front of a toddler could actually be the reason for this kind of behavior. Try not to leave your toddler alone. If you have chores to do around the house do it with your toddler.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Thank you CAGirl4, much appreciated and NEEDED! :) I will try to keep reminding myself of that.
    carly123

Answer by carly123 at 12:59 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• consistency means you keep doing it all the time even when it gets hard.. she is still a baby the way she is acting is normal
    I think you should put yourself in a time out when you stat getting mad give yourself time to cool off before dealing with your child.
    also just let her know you love her but not the behavior & that she will still be loved when the baby comes..
    she is so young I think you should ignore her tantrums & when she starts being good pay attention to her, I personally think she is too young to spank or time outs. maybe use redirection to like: no you can't throw you cup but you can throw this ball outside
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 1:10 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I just keep thinking that after a week or so of doing the same type of discipline whether it's time out, ignoring, or whatever, that I should start to see a change after a while and when I don't see it, I think it must not work for her and try another method. I guess I just need to be patient and stick to what I am doing for the long run.
    carly123

Answer by carly123 at 1:19 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• And she is obviously too young to understand that yet...
    carly123

Answer by carly123 at 1:20 AM on Jun. 18, 2010