Is an ultrasound at 5 weeks too early to determine twins?

I had an ultrasound done at 5 weeks. It wasnt for the pregnancy, I had cysts...anyways, I'm 14 weeks now and Ive been feeling something on the lower left side and upper right side, under my breast. I know one baby would not be big enough to be under my breast now. But 2...just would the 5 week ultrasound determine it yet?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Even 2 wouldn't be big enough to be under your breast yet.

If you see one baby on an early ultrasound that is pretty much guaranteed all you're gonna have lol. I had the same worries. I had an ultrasound at 5 weeks just to determine if the pregnancy was in my uterus (I have a history of ectopic) and then I measured 4 and 5 centimeters ahead until about 20 weeks. I was concerned that we might have missed a second baby, but my midwife assured me that if one was there and that's it on the ultrasound then that's it. Now I'm just 2 cm ahead and can only feel one baby in there (I'm 33 weeks, no other ultrasounds). I'm 99% sure we are just having one.

I know how you feel, though! Just relax, it's all good :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:18 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I found out that I was having twins when I was 5 weeks along. I went to the ER because I was cramping really bad and they did an ultrasound and we could clearly see both sacs.
    JenMarie2007

Answer by JenMarie2007 at 1:19 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I believe it would have been detected then, but I'm not positive. Have you not been checked since then? The two heartbeats should be picked up pretty easily.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 1:19 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• OP here:Yeah...its just got me concerned. When I fell whatever it is near my breast, I rub on it and it goes away, lol. And whenever my dr checks for the heartbeat, she always has a difficult time finding it. I'm going for an ultrasound in 2 weeks, so I will know for sure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• yes they can see the sacs
    whistlemom3

Answer by whistlemom3 at 6:02 PM on Jun. 21, 2010