Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nebraska law, Custodial Parent Moving In-State

I am the custodial parent with sole legal custody. I live in Nebraska. Ex lives in another state.

Does anyone KNOW if I can move within the state without permission? I haven't been able to find any laws online. The parenting plan would not change. I know some states have a radius, etc. But again, I haven't found anything about Nebraska.

Sounds reasonable I know, but ex wants to try to get me to incur transportation costs (he pays all) because I am moving out of the school district. And I really don't want to go to court at all if I don't have to.

Thanks for your responses and knowledge!


Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (3)
  • wait sorry i misunderstood your question you can go anywhere in nebraska without permission unless you have some kinda thing goin on with cps. i looked into that myself when i almost left my husband, i was gonna move 4 hrs away and my Dh said i cant do that but i called an attorney about it and i was told as long as i resided in nebraska then i can go wherever i wanted just as long as my So was contacted about new address ect...

    Answer by gothmama91 at 11:41 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

  • Go to then link on Know the Law then find Nebraska. If you can't find what you want there call your local Domestic Violence Shelter. They know your state laws on this since many targets of dv have to flee across state lines with the children

    Answer by admckenzie at 8:27 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

  • you have to have permission from the judge to leave state. a friend of mine tried to move back to her home state andher ex found out about it and contested it and made her move back. where are you at in nebraska? if around lincoln area i have a number for a good attorney

    Answer by gothmama91 at 11:36 AM on Jun. 18, 2010