Cloth diapers? Help!

After my daughter sustained awful chemical burns as a result of Pampers Dry Max, I am worried about disposable diapers. I know lots of people use them without problems, and I'm not here to bash those of you who use them. I simply had a bad experience, and I would like to discontinue using them.

I have NO IDEA where to start. There's so many varieties and so many brands, it's all so confusing to me. A lot of them seem to come in huge "starter packs", and they're very expensive. I understand it saves a lot in the long run, but I've yet to find a job since giving birth so we are living off of one income. We are paying the bills fine, but are barely above living paycheck to paycheck, so it's hard for me to drop that much money at once.

Does anyone use cloth diapers? Can someone help me understand a little better?

vileincarnation

Asked by vileincarnation at 1:45 AM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There's too much to type in a reply here, but join Cloth Diapering Mammas or Cuties with Cloth Booties, and check out the site www.diaperjungle.com. Tons of good information on that site.

As for types of diapers, I've used everything and really, they all work, and they're not that hard. I just got enough diapers to diaper this baby (due in August) from birth until about 10 months for $140. They're Indian prefolds and adjustable covers.

I highly recommend the Thirsties brand if you can afford it. Those are the covers I bought for this new baby. I have a bunch of Thirsties stuff for my daughter (2 years) too, and I really like their products, but you're right, it is a significant upfront investment.

It's not as hard as it seems, though. You'll get it figgered out.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:49 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• You can find smaller packs of cloth diapers at Wal-Mart or Babies r Us, usually for around ten bucks, they're the pre-fold diapers and are meant to be used with a pin, but there is a "clasp" out there that more or less hooks the sides of the diapers without touching the baby, it's called a snappi, this link should have a few ideas that might help http://www.zany-zebra.com/cloth-diaper-accessories.shtml
    Good luck!
    heratyc

Answer by heratyc at 1:52 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I agree to much info to type in one answer, I will do my best :-)
    Prefolds are like the old school cloth diaper you need a waterproof cover with these but they are cheap and easy to care for and use.
    Fitteds are cloth diapers with snaps or Velcro they still need a cover but come in cute prints and are easy bc they are self closing.
    Pockets are the diaper and cover in one, but you have to stuff the diaper in the pocket to make it absorbent.
    All in ones are just that. They go on and off like a disposable, they are pretty expensive but I can see the value for daycare, babysitters or DH if he doesn't like the idea of cloth. If I were you I would get a handful of pockets and a dozen prefolds with 2 covers (thristies are great!) you should be able to pick that all up for under 150 less if you buy used. See if you like it! I bet you will :-) Please PM me with questions... I love to talk fluff! Check out Green Mountain Diapers too!
    CMHmommy

Answer by CMHmommy at 2:18 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I use prefolds and flats. Flats are the old fashioned diapers (the grand mammy of burp cloths) and go from birth to out of diapers. They cost around 1 - 2 dollars a piece depending on where and what you buy. I prefer unbleached -- I got mine at little-lions.com Prefolds are my favorite because they don't require folding, however, they come in sizes (so far I've used premie size and infant size -- but my baby is slender. Most people get infant size and premium size). They are also cheap in the same price range. I use thirstie duo wraps. They are the best covers I'ved tried. I love the leg gussets. I use 2 or 3 snappis instead of pins. I find these to be the easiest to launder and the longest lasting.

If you prefer a disposable style shape then there are a lot of options. But if you do that they tend to be more expensive. Pockets are a good compromise. Also look into Elimination Communication
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:57 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Tip: You CAN use those thousand burp cloths you might have lying around as cloth diapers.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:58 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Google Jillians Drawers

They have a try it program-- you pay $151 and can return them for a $141 cash refund if they are wrong for you. Or keep the ones you like. It's a sample pack of like 8 different kinds of diapers so you can see which kind is your favorite.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:40 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I really like the BumGenious 3.0. They are so easy to use. The Flip diapers are similar and a lot less expensive. Take a look at http://www.cottonbabies.com/index.php

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:41 PM on Jun. 18, 2010