Speaking of Satan??

I've noticed on a lot of questions that whenever someone asks a question about paganism, including paganism, hinting at paganism, someone always starts up with something along the lines of "it's satanism"..... I'm honestly curious about this, I mean, pagans don't believe in satan so there's no chance of worshiping him, it would be like a christian worshiping count chocula or the trix rabbit, ridiculous, right? So why is there always someone (usually a fanatic christian I assume) who tries to throw satan into the mix? Is it just something that they use to make them feel superior? What's the deal???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• As some of the christians here have demonstrated the christian church commonly teaches that anyone who isn't christian is following satan. For a lot of them that goes double for witches and other pagans. I've read some truly evil and hateful christian literature on the subject of witches. One of the books I was given as a child at bible camp was about a girl who was raised as a witch and she was having panic attacks and such in church because satan was fighting for control of her soul. Total nonsense of course but dangerous and evil and this is the stuff being distributed to children.

Satan is a christian construct. Anyone who follows or worships satan is part of the christian religion. I'm a witch and not part of the christian religion. It's pretty simple but it can be hard to comprehend when you've had hateful doctrines thrown at you for years.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 9:11 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• and, just to add- satanists do not worship satan. lol
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:50 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• OP here- ObbyDobbie, you are correct, I've only known one in my time, and you are correct.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Ok stop.,.you say Satan,,,and I think ot the church lady from SNL,,,,I really need to go to bed cause I work tomorrow am
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• LOL Oh, I know I am... It's everyone else who is a little warped about their views.  I loved the Q a couple days ago about what paths ppl have walked- And, in all honesty, it revealed that the seeking nature of people leads them into religions that they are ill equipped to A) understand B) accept C) rationalize... Which is precisely the reason that I chose to educate myself regarding this multifaceted stone ppl call religion- But, since I don't actually believe in any of it, no one accepts that I may just know what I am talking about.

It is sad when an Atheist knows more about the religion than the one practicing it.

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:58 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Op here- Obby, an atheist would know more about religion in general because an atheist wouldn't be blinded by it, most atheists I've known have been more interested in the actual history of a religion than what an angry clergy man has to shove down an unsuspecting throat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Ah, spoken well. And very true, I might add.

All of those whom I have ever had the pleasure of encountering, were far more learned than all but a very small slice of those actually practicing. The reason being, that we have all sought answers, and exhausted every avenue we could possibly explore- only to come to the realization that there is nothing to seek.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:09 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Now, you have piqued my curiosity about who you actually are.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:10 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• OP here- Obby, I'll send you a message, I'm a bit wary of letting anyone else know who I am on this board because I'm pretty sure that I would end up with a lot of hate mail from angry fanatics, and honestly, who has time for that?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• It's because the Christian faith believes that to worship any deity other than their God is by default the worship of satan. When people specifically attach witchcraft to satanism, they don't understand that witchcraft is a practice that needs no connection to any religion. I think these instances where pagans are being told they are following satan are due to either my first point or because they just lack knowledge of paganism, witchcraft, and satanism.

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 2:44 AM on Jun. 18, 2010