How long does it take you to clean up after going to the beach? How do you go about it? How do you clean out the sand, etc...?

What's the fastest way to clean up after going to the beach?

LavenderRose10

Asked by LavenderRose10 at 4:16 AM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Home & Garden

• The beaches we go to, have outside public "rinse off" showers near the boardwalk--so everyone gets rinsed off, along with all beach toys and chairs. Things that can't get rinsed off like towels and clothes, get shaken out or well brushed off at the beach. All of our gear then goes in the back of the truck where I first place a bed sheet down. When we get home I scoop everything up in the sheet and place in the driveway. Towels and clothes get washed, and if need be, I'll vacuum the interior--but it's usually not bad and at most takes 10 minutes.

Having grown up on the beach, I guess we've "perfected" the beach going process--bags are made of plastic or open mesh, chairs are all plastic--no metal parts, toys are all plastic, and towels are non-terry cloth--so they don't trap sand. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:16 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Clean what? the car? well If I don't think Ill go back for a while I use a shop vac and suck out all of the sand
    myself? Shower like regular

I guess I didn't realize it took much of an extra effort besides vacuuming the car better, I go to the beach pretty often so maybe I'm jut routine to it now
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 5:04 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• We go to the beach pretty often here. It's one that you drive and park your car on so we bring home a lot of sand. All the sand toys stay outside and the shoes get the sand knocked off of them outside. I shake out towels, blankets, and clothing outside. I use a shop vac on the car. Sometimes the sand sticks to the sunblock, especially on the kids, so before we leave the beach I put cornstarch based baby powder on where the sand is sticking and it brushes off easily.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:50 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Oops, I forgot to say how long it takes. It totally depends on the day- if it was windy, if the sand was wet, if it was too cold to play in the water, etc. Sometimes we get more sandy than other times.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:54 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• We go to the beach often. The only part I hate is the cleaning up the sand. We usually try to rinse off before we head back to the car. I shake out all the towels and the sand toys. We shower when we get home and I vacuum the car to get any sand that was left behind. It doesn't take that long. Just the average time any other family outing takes. We usually stay all day at the beach if we go so I pack a cooler with everything we need for the day.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 9:06 AM on Jun. 18, 2010