Should we try a few days befor since sperm can live 3-5 days?

I'm told by my doctor my day to try will be the 26th. I know all the signs to look for and all but what i'm asking is should we try a few days before since sperm can live 3-5 days and then try on that day as well?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:10 AM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• Why not? Go ahead. I have always heard that if you want a girl, try a few days ahead and if you want a boy try on the day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:18 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• you can always try a few days before and everyday up until that day... trying is the best part, lol
    TomsMom

Answer by TomsMom at 7:43 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• The life span of sperm that you have quoted is a fallacy. Yes, they *can* live 3-5 days, but ONLY in fertile quality cervical fluid. If fertile quality cervical fluid is not present, sperm will die within hours. What makes your doctor think he can predict your date of ovulation? I chart and know my cycle better than anyone else in the world, and I can't predict my ovulation dates. I can only tell when it's coming up and after it has happened. You still have more than a week before the date your doctor gave you; I can only tell, from the signs my body gives me, a few days in advance.
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 8:14 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I'm sorry for not being clear. My doctor said "around the 26th" She counted the the 26th because the 26th is 14 days after my period began.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I am just nervous
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:22 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• And the 28 day cycle with ovulation on day 14 is merely an average. I apologize for being snippy. It just rubbed me the wrong way. I average ovulation on day 20 and in the past year I've ovulated as eary as day 14 and as late as day 28. The BEST thing to do is stop looking at the calander and start looking at yourself. Take your temperature first thing in the morning, before you get out of bed. Pay attention to your vaginal discharge and your cervix. When you've got creamy fluid (looks/feels like you put some lotion on your fingers) or stuff that resembles raw eggwhites. When your cervix is soft, high, and open. When you just feel wet downstairs. That's when you're getting ready to ovulate and that's when you BD. When you see your temperature go up, its happened and you have 24 hours until the egg dies. As you get to know your body, you may notice other signs that ovulation is about to occur.
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 8:29 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• For example, you may notice cramping or spotting. You may notice an increased sex drive or your breasts are tender. Or you may regularly get headaches or an upswing in energy. Get to know your body. You should know it better than anyone else. I highly recommend getting a copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler.
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 8:32 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• When TTC we did it every other day, days 10-24.

Good luck to you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• ^^I agree with this one^^
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:29 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I've always heard to do it every other day starting on day 8 and to alternate each month starting on even/odd days so the following month start on day 9
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 10:27 AM on Jun. 18, 2010