Does this mean that i don't need any more kids?

I keep my 6 mo. old niece one day a week. I love her and she is a good baby for the most part but it is like I always dread that day and I am usually ill by the time my husband gets home. My daughter is 4 1/2 and has been on a schedule since she was 6 weeks old. I always knew when she was going to sleep & when she was going to get up. With my niece, you never know! My niece was whiny yesturday & I couldn't wait for her to leave! And I usually go to the gym & I can't on the day I have her. I don't go anywhere on that day! So does this mean that I don't need anymore or is it just different when it is your own?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:21 AM on Jun. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• if your making yourself sick you need to tell your sister to get another sister!. It is not worth it... Get your freedom back!
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 7:24 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• *sitter, not another sister.*
    r00j04j08

• Watching/looking after children that are not yours is a whole different animal!! It's hard watching someone elses child because you cannot control what goes on when they are not in your care--so everything you try to do is not reinforced when they're not with you, and everyday is like starting over--so yes...everyday is like day one and it IS exhausting!

Instead of trying to set her schedule, just think like a babysitter--keep her safe, feed and entertain her, and know that she will be going home soon! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:56 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Its harder when you are adjusting to a kid that's not yours. Your biorythums aren't synched up & her schedule's not your schedule. W/ your own you decide what they do & when they do it, your neice already has her own internal clock of how the day goes. Instead of dreading it why don't you plan things to go do together. Take her to the park to watch the other kids, take her somewhere bright w/ lots of colors & ppl like the mall. Sit w/ her & describe things for her, colors, ppl, etc. It'll also be alot easier on you if you write down her schedule like what time she eats, sleeps, starts to get tired, etc. That way you have a schedule for that day & she sets it so she'll be less fussy.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:20 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I think it means you shouldn't babysit! I guess watching someone's child is different than their own,, but every baby is different, and you have no idea if you your next would be colicky (sp?) or what,, Good luck1
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:16 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I don't think you should sit for her anymore. It is different when it is your own, but what if you get a hard baby of you own. I would think long and hard about having another one. If you like your life the way it is now then don't have anymore.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:37 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I recommend not sitting for her anymore also. But as far as does this mean you shouldn't have other kids? no, it does not mean that. I used to babysit and often counted the minutes until certain kids went home. But it is different when they are your own. Even when i have had difficult times with my own kids ("colic") I haven't regretted them or felt horrible about any of it. It really is different when it is your own kid. I can handle my own kids screaming her head off more than someone else's kid just being rude. lol
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 9:42 AM on Jun. 18, 2010