Would you go back to work to pay for your child to attend college even if it meant putting your other children in childcare fulltime?

Would you go back to work fulltime to pay for your 18 yo daughters college education even if it meant putting your youngest 2 children in childcare fulltime? This is assuming that you would be able to make enough to pay childcare expenses and pay for the college yearly also. I only ask this because if I don't my dd will be in debt up to her ears. We as parents can help out some without me working.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• No. At 18+ your older child needs to figure out how to pay for college on her own--like many of us had to do! I would help her locate and apply for every grant or scholarship that she may be eligible for--every little bit helps! And I WOULD (if need be) co-sign a loan using my well-established credit/equity, and work out a repayment schedule with her after she graduates, AND require that she work at least part-time throughout college to pay for incidentals like books, entertainment, etc.

My mother took out a regular bank loan, and I worked part-time during the school year and two full-time jobs in the summer to pay for my own books/supplies, entertainment/spring break, etc. BUT, because my mother expected that I pay her back, she had a say in what degree I was going to pursue! She wanted to be certain that I would get a decent paying job when I graduated--which I did, back in 1990! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:03 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• no...i would give her money if needed for books and stuff if she asked but thats it.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:09 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Nope, why should your other 2 have to suffer? The younger 2 still need their mamma. She's an adult, time to learn that life is hard & if you want something worth working for, like a college education, then it requires hard work. I worked full time while attending college, most of the time I worked more than full time & still graduated w/ over a 3. GPA. Help her where you can, make sure she fill out the FASFA form, check on line for scholarships & grants she may be eligible for. Is there a cheaper school for her to go to? Not everyone can afford to attend a pricey school & in many cases state schools offer just as good of an education. Be careful w/ the online schools/programs, many are not accredited & brick & mortar schools won't accept their credits.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:16 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• No. I let mine use grants. I paid for my own college education. She can get grants or scholarships or even work-study and build character. She'll be fine. Part of the challenge of life is finding a way to get what we want. If she wants that education she can figure it all out.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:16 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Thank you ladies! My dh keeps second guessing himself and he is DRIVING ME UP A WALL!!! Our biggest problem right now is that we did not qualify for any grants but we did qualify for financial aid. He does not want to put her in a lot of debt but I am constantly telling him that we did it on our own...We both went into the military and used our GI bill to get our college education. I use mine when I seperated from active duty and my dh got his while he was still on active duty.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Can your daughter manage to work while going to college?
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 8:27 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I wouldn't. I'm a little biased, I don't think parents should pay for college (or a car). I've seen too many kids screw off all through college because they weren't paying for it. There are Pell grants, loans - it's a good way to learn responsibility (and to have them take their college experience seriously). We are in a position where we could pay for college for the kids when the time comes; all we will do is help with books, etc. and let them live with us (as long as they are getting good grades.)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:37 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• To answer Energ8zr question. Yes she is going to work while going to college. This whole question came up though because we went to the new student orientation on Wednesday and my dh got really upset because he did not want his dd in so much debt after college. I keep telling him that we did it on our own without any help from Mom and Dad. We will be helping her out but not paying for everything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• No, your younger 2 shouldn't have to suffer. Your older daughter will appreciate her education a lot more if she works and pays for it herself.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:40 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• No.
    I put myself through college and I dont see why my 18+ child couldnt as well.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 8:43 AM on Jun. 18, 2010