What is a Universal Unitarian?

I saw it on a sign yesterday as I was passing by. I am not sure I got name right though. What religion is it most like?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Daphna- we celebrate all holidays-- Bible based Holy days (Passover, Yom Kippur, Christmas, Easter) and Muslim holidays and pagan ones and Hindu holy days and so much more. My particular congregation really really really likes holidays.

One of the comfortable things about being a UU is that the congregations are very self directed. We have groups and leaders for any realm of religious exploration you can think of. That way, people who feel very passionate about something in particular can really explore and honor their belief. For example, we have a humanists group in my congregation that meets every week outside of regular worship service. They even have a lecture series they are hosting.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:52 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• lol, you mean Unitarian Universalist? their site is here:
    http://www.uua.org/
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:04 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Not really a specific religion. They believe each person is responsible for deciding their own views on matters such as God, spirituality, the afterlife etc. But overall have the view that we are all connected regardless of religious affiliation and promote unity in spite of differences..
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:05 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• It has Christian roots, but it is not a Christian religion. There are 7 guiding principles. My UU congregation is about 10% atheist, 25% pagan, and the rest are people raised Christian who value the faith but don't agree with it 100%. We celebrate holidays from all faiths; we have a lot of pot lucks. We have a very respectful Religious exploration program for children where they get to learn about other faiths and visit other houses of worship. It's a religion of tolerance and unity.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:14 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Ecodani- Do you celebrate the Holy days of the bible and would your group be up for it?Blessings..
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 7:33 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• the first poster gave you a great site - look for the seven principles - although UU's consist of many religions from christian to pagan to buddhist to atheist etc the principles are the things they have in common. UUs tend to be liberal and intellectual but this is not always the case. there is an openness to all ideas, an always-evolving spiritual construct, and social justice is very very important. are there specific questions you have?
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 7:34 PM on Jun. 18, 2010