How should I find aftercare for kindergarten,, need some advice mommas!

Yikes,, DS is going off to kindergarten this year, and he will need one day, maybe 2 of aftercare,, I was able to adjust my schedule to pick him up the other days, his current and ONLY ever daycare provider is too far, and I am so nervous about fnding a new person, they have aftercare, but only for full time, and with all age groups,,not too keen on that,,Any ideas? I don't know any of the parents at the school he would be attending--and how much should I pay someone to watch him for about 4 hours a week,, they would need to pick him up as well,, The whole thing is making me a nervous WRECK--he has only had one daycare/preschool lady, and me and hubby to watch him,, HOW do you find someone good? Thanks!

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 10:25 AM on Jun. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• For me, we have to leave our current at home private daycare because she can't take him to and from school for me. So there is a KinderBrook around the corner from my house that is also a bus stop for his school. So he will be dropped off there in the morning, get the bus and go to school and be dropped off there for the aftercare program as well. My neighbor does this and they said it's been great for them and the kids are all happy. So hoping it goes well for Noah since it will be a new daycare AND a new school!

See if you have a place like this in your area.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 10:32 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Word of mouth, talk to other parents. Talk to K teachers some parents do that to make extra cash. I would think 40.00 for a parent. Some might take less. Ask how much would you charge and then negotiate if you need too.

If you have too don't be worried about him going to after care with all ages, my kids go.

They treat the little ones like little brothers and sisters, they look out for them. Good luck!! It is tough but it always works out.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:35 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Get to know your neighbors with kids. You could find a neighbor mom to watch him. You could find other neighbor moms in your situation and 3-4 families hire 1 care provider that you can pay really well since all families will be paying. When I was a single mom I did in home care for a rich family with and autistic preschooler and a girl in school and then cared for kids from 2 other neighbor families after school. I planned fun things for the kids to do. The kids all had a good time, the parents were all happy, and I got paid well. It was good for all.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:36 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Thanks Kfree,, the problem is the shcool's after care is only available FULL time,, I guess they do alot of stuff and were kind of discouraging me from letting him come only 2 x's a week, plus is expensive,, almost as much as I now pay,, we are trying to save for him to be able to go to private school next year,, and it would nip that in the bud!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:45 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Boys and Girls club? I know ours here does a think where you drop them off pretty early if you have to, they bus them to school, they then bus them back to the club AFTER school, and then they can stay there till 5 or 6 or something if you have to leave them that long. They would probably allow PT, check into it at least.
    Anonymous