trouble breastfeeding

hi im having trouble breastfeeding bcuz my daughter keeps using her gums and biting on my nipples and i dont really feel like going to the doctor bcuz im to embaressed

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nothing to be embarassed about. Nursing isn't natural for moms and babies, some babies have to learn how to nurse. Call your doc or a lactation specialist, they will help you
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:33 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Make sure she is latched one way past the nipple, far up on you areola. You don't necessarily have to go to a doctor, you could call a lactation consultant. Good luck. Breastfeeding isn't the easiest but it's very rewarding.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 10:34 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• one=on
    keisha613

• nursing is very natural, some babies just take a bit longer to figure it out. How old is your baby? I would scream when DD bit my nipple & it solved the problem, she stopped biting.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:35 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Sometimes my DD does that when she gets very excited to eat. I can't let her go too long without eating and I have to make her finish and not get distracted. She latches much more gently when she's not famished.

Try pinching up your nipple and putting much more of it in her mouth. She'll have to open wider and use her suction power to hold it all rather than pressure from chomping down. You'll be more comfortable. She'll get a better flow of milk and get her food more efficiently.

Don't ever be embarrassed to talk with your doc or a lactation expert. Sore nipples only happen when you don't reach out for help.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:37 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Your baby's gums shouldn't be near your nipple. You don't have enough of your baby's breast in the baby's mouth. The gums should be back on your breast. Some babies do this if they have been given bottles or pacifiers. If you have been doing this, it's bad for breastfeeding and you may need to stop. Some babies can breast and bottle feed, most can't.

Wait until your baby's mouth is open wide and bring your baby to the breast, not shove the breast in the baby's mouth. Doctor have no training in breastfeeding. If you need help, call La Leche League or a lactation consultant. http://www.kellymom.com/ is a good web site.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:47 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Oops, I said your baby's breast and of course I should have said your breast.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:53 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Gail is right, I've heard that the La Leche League is awsome when it comes to nursing. A friend of mine needed advice from them for both her children, Call them, you will be pleasantly surprised at how helpfull they will be
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:57 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• number one rule dont ever as a doctor about breastfeeding, thats like asking your mechanic to look at your vagina. they dont belong lol. call the hospital where you deliver and as for a lactation consultant. or better yet contact la leche league. as for help dont be like me. i was to scared to as for help with dd and i ended up formula feeding. youtube has videos on how to latch the baby. good luck and kudos for giving bf a try
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:25 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I about lost it when I brought my baby home from the hospital. She wouldn't latch for anything and I did all I could. I pumped when It hurt so bad and she wasn't eating and just crying her eyes out. I kept at it and had to purchase the plastic nipple covers they sell and after a few uses with that I did one without it and she was fine. I wanted to breast feed more than anything in the world and was glad that I could find something that helped. But don't feel embarrassed, so many people say that breast feeding is so easy and comes naturally and you know what it doesn't. I think by hearing that moms try and when it doesn't just CLICK they give up because they think they can't. You have to work at it and talking to someone that knows is the only way. It took me 2 weeks and bloody nipples to finally get it right, so don't feel bad. Good luck.
    Savymom25

Answer by Savymom25 at 11:31 AM on Jun. 18, 2010