Is it safe to take my 3 year old on the family boat sat?

I am nervous but would love for him to enjoy it with me do u think he would and any advice how long i should stay on with him and what to brin n i know a life jacket lol thanks

Momofaprince146

Asked by Momofaprince146 at 10:56 AM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's safe to take even a newborn in a boat. He can stay all day as long as he has potty breaks and sunscreen.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:58 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• As long as you are there to watch him and he has a vest on, then I don't see why not. We didn't let our son on a boat (it was a little row boat) till he was 3
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:59 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I took my kids out even younger. They had a blast. I would plan a short trip at first to see how he handles it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:42 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• My parents live on the water and have a boat. Both of my kids have been on the boat from about 5 months old. The only reason it was was not earlier was because they were both born in the winter. The best thing I could recommend(besides the life vest and sunscreen) is to have someone else there, my kids like to walk around a bit on the boat and having others that they can go to is a great relief. If this will be his first time on the boat, start with a short trip and increase the trips each time he is out. Some kids may freak if out to long. My daughter could never get enough of the boat. My son was slow to like the boat, he is 2 1/2 now and no trip is long enough for him.
    nova.mommy

Answer by nova.mommy at 12:06 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I've taken my kids out on a friend's boat several times even as infants. Just keep the life vests on them, lots of sunscreen (re apply often) snacks, drinks, maybe extra towels or something soft if they should fall asleep. My kids tend to doze off when we're out driving around in the water b/c the movement is so soothing. LOL. have fun!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 4:07 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• We took our son on my husband's family boat for the first time when he was six weeks old. He's been out on our boat at 10 months and 22 months. Perfectly safe as long as you use common sense and follow boating law. As others have said, sunscreen and a life vest, plenty of water if it's going to be warm, snacks, and maybe even a couple toys if you'll be out for a while. Depending on the lake, we have a couple of those "noodles" and I'll straddle a couple of those and play in the water with him, he loves it!! Have fun!
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 4:12 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I've been on a boat since I was a newborn. My parents owned a boat and I was born in May just before Mamorial Day weekend. So, at about a week and a half old I made my debut on the boat. You need to be careful about sunburning. Little ones can burn even in the shade if the shading isn't adequate (the UV rays bounce up off of the water and other reflective surfaces. Be sure to apply a really good water proof sunscreen. You also need to be sure that your toddler drinks lots of water so she doesn't dehydrate in the heat. If the boat isn't deep, be sure you have your hands on her at all times so she doesn't go overboard.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:49 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I think it would be ok. However you need to check with your state boating laws on baby life jackets. Like in GA they are required to have the ones that have the little flaps in the back. Also lots and lots of sunscreen, shade doesn't protect from everything because the sun reflects off of the water.
    DacieArie

Answer by DacieArie at 5:23 PM on Jun. 18, 2010