FORMER CO-SLEEPERS PLEASE HELP!!!

My daughter will be 22 months and she has slept with us since she was 3 months old..well, she's big now and likes to kick. I'm also thinking that this is why she is crying more at night. I think she is getting woken up by us touching her and she's not really sleeping that good anymore. did anyone else experience this with co-sleeping?? how did you transition her? just put her to bed and let her be?? is there a way to do it gradually so she doesn't go back to the beginning with sleep traininG?? any ideas will help. thanks in advance :)

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 10:56 AM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I have coslept with all 5 of mine. I still have 2 in the bed hehehe. Well I bought a toddler bed and made a big deal about it with special bedding. I nput it in my room for a while then transfered to their rooms.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• My child is 4 and I had her in bed with us from the get go. When we moved (a year ago) I let her pick the paint and everything. She felt like it was her place and that was it. She still comes in bed with us if she has a bad dream or early in the morning. But I think it is something you both have to want because I got a lot of slack from my mother for it and tried to do it early and found out that I missed her and slept better when she was with me.....now I sleep better when she is in her room, so it works because we both want it. Good luck!
    Savymom25

Answer by Savymom25 at 11:13 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I co-slept with my 3. She probably isn't waking because of you since she has always slept with you. She is used to touching people. If she is crying in bed with you, it may be much worse if you try and move her out. I have a grandson that's 20 mo and my dil's sister is a nurse and told her she should start night weaning. So now my grandson is crying at night, poor little guy. My son, the baby's father, is a RN and have been a LLL Leader and we tell her he doesn't need to wean but no, she listens to her sister. He is hungry at night! He is underweight. Your little girl could be hungry and need a snack.

I agree with letting the child pick out the bed and sheets, ect. Its hardest with the oldest. Younger sibs can sleep in the same room with the older sibs.  

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:30 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Above it sounds like I'm saying my son has been a LLL Leader. It's me that has been a LLL Leader.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:32 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• i think special bedding is a good idea! my first son moved on at 6 months, for reasons you seem to be going through now. he did great! for my twins, they worked on nap time for a few weeks, then we went to night time, and that worked well for us. they also got a special cd just for sleep time too. (this was probably bad...but i gave my dd a paci after she turned 1 to help with her transition)
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:44 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Try the toddler bed in the room next to you. I totally agree with the special bedding. Our son co-slept with us for 3 years, and then we kicked him to his own room. However, first, we got him a Lightning McQueen bed and sheet set. He was more than happy to be a big boy in his super cool own bed.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:12 PM on Jun. 18, 2010