Hard, painful bump in my neck.

Behind and below my right ear, right where the corner of my jaw bone meets my neck, is a hard bump. It's not visible from the surface. It's fairly deep in there. And it definitely hurts. I just noticed it a couple days ago.
I'm not sick, nor have I been in the last few weeks (with a cold or flu, I mean). Often, when I'm sick, my lymph nodes swell pretty severely. This doesn't feel like that.
I have a doctor's appointment on Monday. Just curious as to what anyone thinks...?

mama_moonsong

Asked by mama_moonsong at 11:03 AM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• some glands get infections themselves and need antibiotics for them
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:22 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I believe that is the Paraotid gland. Mine will swell up if I have a zit on my ear or anything. It is a swollen node, and just means that somewhere your body is fighting off something. Try putting heat on it, that will usually help
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:05 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Be sure you show your doctor. My teen son had one in about that location and had to have it surgically removed and biopsied. It wasn't cancer.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:18 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I am a thyroid cancer survivor. I wasn't sick. I was thin but I attributed that to being very busy, chasing after 4 sons, never sitting, not eating much and just basically always moving. I wasn't tired, my periods were on time, there were no indicators that I had cancer. I was healthy other than being thin. My lump was barely visible, I never noticed it and neither did my family but people who didn't see me every day did. I didn't know about it until the cyst shifted and blocked my airway and nearly suffocated me to death. After it shifted it was HUGE and very visible. Have it checked out. It's probably nothing to worry about but it could be something to worry about.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 12:36 PM on Jun. 18, 2010