Gluten and lactose a culprit in not being able to lose weight?

I just caught the tail end of a segment on the Today show talking about gluten and lactose being a possible reason some people are having a hard time losing weight. Does anyone know any information about this? I wasn't able to catch everything that was said and can't seem to find any information on this. Thanks so much:)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• if you're interested, pm me. too much to type! lol
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:21 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• oh, and if you do want to watch the segment, you can google it and find the vid.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:22 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Look up the Paleo diet! There's tons of info on it.

http://paleodiet.com/definition.htm

http://paleodiet.com/definition.htm

Contrary to popular belief, gluten and dairy isn't good for anyone. That's why there are some many food related diseases.
    I follow a modified Paleo. I'm not completely strict on it, but since I've cut out the gluten and cut down the dairy a huge amount, I feel 10 times lighter and think a lot more clearly!

nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 11:27 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I went on a gluten free/casein free (dairy free) diet for about a year (was doing it as a family thinking it might help my son with autism). I saw no improvement in my son, and I certainly didn't lose any weight - of course, I didn't have any to lose so maybe that's why. I didn't see the segment, just wanted to share my experience. Good luck finding the info you're looking for!

Answer by missanc at 9:58 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Most people are actually allergic or intolerant to dairy and gluten, they just live with the symptoms and see it as normal because that is what they grew up with.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 10:39 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Dairy will not help you lose weight, that's for sure. It's really bad for you and you will benefit enormously if you cut it out. Gluten on the other hand only needs to go if you're actually allergic. Stay away from the refined stuff but you should eat the whole grains.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 4:55 PM on Jun. 19, 2010