Why do people call there kids Papi? It drives me crazy.

I want to a park with mostly Spanish and all I heard was Papi, Papi, and Papi.

How do the kids know whos mom or dad is calling them "Papi".

My man does that around spanish people, come here PAPI-Yes my baby is Puerto Rican but I call him by his name, but it drives me absolutly nuts.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Jun. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• If you ever hear me saying it at a park it is because my daughter is actually named Poppy. lol
    We all have little things that irritate us. i don't think you are being racist. I think that is just a nickname you don't like and you happen to be hearing it from many people instead of just one. I used to hate when my sister called her son "Baby Man". And I can not STAND when parents call their kids (and then have their kids call each other) Bubby and Sissy. My SIL actually calls her daughter "Sister". What is this, the Berenstain Bears? lol
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 8:01 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• i guess its slang...i usually hear.miho, or miha..idk if i spelled it right
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:02 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• it means my son and my daughter though...same goes for papi and mami
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:03 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• it's how they say daddy. so the same way as you know your child is calling you daddy or mommy they know their kids are saying papi or mami...But however this is kind of a racist question only because it's a different language it bugs you?? Why should it bug you it's not your child.
    Anonymous

• I second that. There's NO WAY my baby girl is already a Mami (sp?) or a little boy is a Papi so why call them that? Its stupid, NOT CUTE, nor is it an endearing to call your child like they're a/the parent.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 12:12 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Racist? WTF does this have to do with being racist? Its not the WORD its the fact that they're calling their CHILD by the PARENT'S title.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 12:14 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I'm married to a hispanic trust me there is nothing bad about it...
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 12:29 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I get what your saying about a child being called Papi. Ive heard that before and also when some people call their DD mama, or mamas. You will hear that among African Americans. I don't think it's racist that you asked. That's like giving a child a nick name.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 12:35 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• It's a cultural thing. You ask the question about women calling their so's/dh's "daddy", didn't you? You certainly get bothered by a lot of things! ;-)
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 2:13 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

****************

That's a very judgemental statement.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 2:14 PM on Jun. 18, 2010