What would be a good punishment?

I was away at student orientation at the college that my dd is attending this coming fall. My parents stayed at home with my younger kids. My mother went to take a shower and my dad was watching the kids. My son told my dad that he had to go to the bathroom. My son took the phone with him without my dad knowing. He was trying to call me on the phone and instead called 911 thinking that they could help him find out my cell phone number. A police officer came to the house to make sure everything was okay and the officer explained to him nicely that 911 is for emergencies only. What would you do? I had my son write a paragraph telling me the purpose of 911. Do you think that was enough? I know for a fact my son was very upset after the police officer left because my son knew what he had done was wrong.

my4kids274

Asked by my4kids274 at 12:20 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think he already knows what he did was wrong and the paragraph and getting scared by a cop was enough
    bandrplus2

Answer by bandrplus2 at 12:22 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• that happened to me once my kid decided to call 911 idk why maybe thought it would be fun well the cop came and I mean screamed at him scared the sh*t outta him too. He never did it again
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 12:24 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I think that's enough. He got talked to by the cop and he had to tell you what the real use is for 911.
    Now, if he does it again, then that's another story.
    Most kids do call 911 after learning about it for some stupid reason or another.
    I myself called just to make sure it worked, then when they answered, I screamed and hung up the phone. On the up side though, the response time in Johnson City, Tn back then was AMAZING!
    I think he's learned his lesson.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:24 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Thank you ladies for the answers.
    my4kids274

Answer by my4kids274 at 12:26 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Yeah I think the paragraph was enough. Maybe he didn't know that he can't dial 911 if it's not an emergency. I heard about this one kid calling 911 because he needed help with a math problem. It was funny and the dispatcher was cool about it and he did help him solve the problem. But im sure your son knows he was wrong if he feels bad about it.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 12:27 PM on Jun. 18, 2010