anyone use blue cohosh and/or black cohosh to induce labor?

My doctor is pushing me to medically induce, but I desperately want to avoid that.

I've read about blue cohosh and black cohosh, thier effectiveness and side effects, etc.

I'm wondering if anyone on here has actually had success using this method? What would you suggest or warn about it?

Thanks

hill_star03

Asked by hill_star03 at 12:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• have used it successfully 3x- HOWEVER do not take a tablet or pill, too much too fast, and can cause all kinds of discomfort. Use the tinctures.
    BTW, unless your body is ready, it simply won't work. One last thing, they do not have any rights to force you to induce, You can simply say NO.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:04 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I used black cohosh once back in 2006 to induce a miscarriage (I was 11 weeks pregnant but the baby had died at 9 weeks, just didn't come out yet). But in addition to the black cohosh, I drank boiled parsley water and had another vaginal u/s the day before the miscarriage finally happened. It may have helped. I took it in the vitamin form which is what I suggest for you.
    Anonymous

• It is every bit as dangerous as Pitocin, and once you take it it can't be turned off you have to work it through your system. There is no real advantage to it.
    Anonymous

• it is absolutely NOT as dangerous as pitocin, does not have the same side affects, nor will it force you to dilate if you are not ready... which is why you wait until the end stage of pregnancy for it, not before (as you can with pitocin)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:05 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I thought about using it, bought it and did not use it, I did some reading on it on the internet and read that long ago it was used to induce miscarriages..so I said never mind, I didn't want to take a chance of anything happening to the baby for any reason.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 1:17 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• You do realize that herbs are not regulated by the FDA, so whatever you take could contain more/less cohosh than it says on the bottle or could be contaminated with other products? Pitocin, as a drug, is regulated by the FDA and has to go through rigorous testing. I've never used it, but have my degree in pharmaceuticals and learning what I did, herbal supplements scare me more than most medications!

Answer by missanc at 1:39 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Yes, and it was only as monitored in the office, not on my own!!

Now that I really can appreciate it's dangers I regret having agreed at all.

Your doctor is pushing induction~ why??
    If you don't want it you may decline the offer, of course.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:45 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• At the end of the day, it's trying to force your body to do something that it obviously is not ready to do. Unless you've been REALLY trained in using these herbs, I wouldn't even try to touch them.

You're increasing your risks of unproductive labor that will ultimately lead to things like exhaustion and failure to progress. Without any medical indication, just say no to inducing ("natural" or otherwise).

Missanc, pitocin is actually not FDA approved for use in inducing labor. :)
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 2:23 PM on Jun. 18, 2010