Visitation from a state away?

For those of you who have full custody but the dad has visitation...If you live a couple hours away, how do you do visitation? I am getting ready to move and DD is 3. Right now he picks her up from daycare everyday and we alternate Fri and Sat nights but that won't be feesible when I move.

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 12:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Mine's actually about 9-12 hours away. Visitation is "as agreed by both parties". He can come up here anytime he wants; the door is open. If he paid CS, I'd go there once every 3 mos.

From just a couple hours away, you could either meet in the middle, have one pick up and the other drop off, or end up w/ one person doing all the transporting. That should be spelled out in the custody agreement.
    KLBrown

Answer by KLBrown at 12:58 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• You will need approval from dad before you move out of state. You will then go to court again and set up a new custody agreement.
    Anonymous

• Thanks anon. I have his approval and we have a visitation schedule but we don't go by it now so I'm just trying to get some ideas of what others do. We are both pretty adapting to each others schedule and needs (similar to KLBrown "He can come up here anytime he wants; the door is open." and the reverse is true).
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:27 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• My ex is several states away. Before that, he was half a world away. He came to visit whenever he liked, and I would often let him sleep on my couch. That worked for us.
    TempestRayne

Answer by TempestRayne at 5:59 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• You will have to go to court and write up a new visitation agreement. It's a matter of what you two can agree on - my ex moved 4 hours away when we split. He got the kids one week a month, though last October he moved back to our hometown so he gets them every weekend now.
    Anonymous