How do you get your child to stop biting you?

My kid is a little over 1 yo and has recently felt the need to bite me. He's done it 3 times total in the past week or so. He JUST did it again and not only does it hurt but I have a small purple welt on my leg now. What to do?

firenicecream

Asked by firenicecream at 12:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• DON'T LAUGH!!!!! Whenever you're bit, don't laugh or they'll keep doing it. Try the simple tactics first....tell them to stop, give time out, take away something they don't deserve (if they are eating gum or candy at the time) then last but not least....give them a little bite back or a pinch on the rear. My little one did not like the idea of being bit back, or how it felt. Of course you don't have to bite hard, just a little bit.
    Anonymous

• i bit my daughter back when she did that to me..she never did it again.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:58 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• i've heard biting back works...but we never did that..we always put our finger to dd's lips and said "no bite..it hurts mommy/daddy/whoever"..if she was in daycare, which at that point in time she was at my mil in home daycare, she would get a time out.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 1:01 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• 3 times in the past week??? my 13 month old bites me at least 3 times a day! its getting ridiculous. i tell him no bite. sometimes i yell just so that he realizes im serious. nothing is working yet. lol. GL
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:25 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Mine didn't bite but , one time, my son was bitten by a brat in the Base Nursery . After that,he decided to try it on his sister and I only had to say NO ,loudly,once and he never bit again. I think I was lucky...my kids were so happy and non-combative.
    Anonymous

• i bit mine back....but it didnt help with my DD but it DID with my DS.....i put my DD in a time out when she does it and that seems to help she hasnt done it in a while.
    Anonymous

• my son bit me ONCE, i bit him back and that was the end of it!
    Anonymous

• Bite them back.

My son bit me once, when he was in trouble and angry. I bit him back and he's never bitten me since.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 3:07 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• look him straight in the eye and say firmly "No" and point to where he bit you. When they start biting their parents they are soon to start biting other people, And that will become a bigger problem I hope everything works out for you.
    jackiejackson

Answer by jackiejackson at 3:33 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• We use sign language, since her verbal skills are not up to par yet. We don't have biting, but we have hitting. I just show her the sign for gentle and rub her face soft. Now when she gets so excited and wants to hit my face, she stops herself and rubs my face gentle, and she LOVES the praise she gets for it! You have to catch them in the right behavior and praise away!!!!
    lasvegasblvd

Answer by lasvegasblvd at 3:36 PM on Jun. 18, 2010