What would you do?? ?? about possible ADHD

I believe my 6 yr old son sto be ADHD. My husband had the same issues as a child, and apparently had bad experiences because of it, and refused to take medicine (he'd put it in the AC vents). The problem with my son is that even tho many people (family) have had concerns as well as myself, and including teachers, my husband is still against getting him tested or put on any form of medication. I know there are alternative treatments for ADHD out there, and would be willing to try them if he's diagnosed, but DH is sooo against testing him. So at what point should I do what I think is right & take him to be tested?? I've expressed concern with Drs when he was younger only to be told to wait another year (for two yrs now). I don't want my son to suffer or struggle needlessly in school or life, but I also don't want to disrespect my husbands feelings on the issue. I'm confused.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Tough one. You have to convince your husband. You can't go behind his back. My son is being treated and medicated for it. Trust me it does not solve all the problems. It helps a very small amount. But it does help.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:51 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Service Dog...believe it or not...there are service dogs especially for this. Just recently I heard about a boy who suffers from ADD/ADHD, and his parents got him a dog. It has done wonders for him. The parents had to put up a bit of a fight to get the service dog into his school to be with him throughout classes,but finally the school realized that they would rather tolerate a very well behaved dog rather than uncontrollable outbursts from this kid. There are also service dogs for those who come back from war and suffer PTSD!! Dogs can be very healing.
    NicoR

Answer by NicoR at 12:52 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• My brother was diagnosed with ADHD when he was younger and was put on medication. He felt very strongly about the medication, and told me that if I ever did that to one of my sons he'd never forgive me. My middle son was diagnosed with ADHD, and the school wanted him on medication, I wanted to use alternative methods. I also felt the diagnosis was over used for normal healthy boys. Anyway, because I wouldn't put him on meds, they put him in a full time special ed class, even though he had no learning disabilities. I pulled him out of school and homeschooled him for 2 1/2 years, and when he returned to school, he had outgrown the issues that we'd been dealing with previously. The drugs can become a crutch, and should only be used in severe cases.

I believe there are some people who benefit from medication, but I think that most of the cases that are put on medication should not have been. Be careful about the choice you make.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:56 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• OP here--We've thought about getting him a small dog for inside the house (we've got a dobie outside) and he keeps asking for a dog, never thought about a service dog though. I feel like I'm losing my kid, he went from being this perfect and well behaved little boy to this child who wants to do right, but honestly just can't listen. He can't pay attention for anything, his teachers have even stated that he has an incredible ability to absorb information the first time and retain it, it's just keeping his attention long enough to get him to do the work. Now that's schools out and there's not any sports right now, it's gotten worse. He's incredibly intelligent and good hearted, and geniunly wants to do good. You can see the struggle in him, he can't keep focus long enough to look at me when I'm trying to talk to him. It's beginning to become so frustrating.
    Anonymous

• You can certainly treat your son without having him tested. There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/tags/adhd-education
    You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by magnesium (we use a cal/mag/D) and fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:52 PM on Jun. 18, 2010