Does anyone have a sheep dog? if so then are they good dogs with children?

My daughter found out thru her friend that someone has a sheep dog and that if someone don't take it then they are going to have it euthinized (sp). So my kids are wanting it. And I don't know much about them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:56 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Pets

• They require HUGE amounts of grooming obviously. When they drink their beard soaks up water like a sponge and can get smelly and discolored if not properly taken care of. They're good with kids but as a herding breed you can run into issues if they're not properly trained...not necessarily biting, but trying to herd running kids and everything that entails. You have to make a commitment to a dog like that or you and the dog will both be unhappy. Why are they rehoming the dog and why is putting a healthy animal down an option for them?
    Anonymous

• OP here: Well when I called she said that it takes too much of her time and that she didn't want it anymore. Poor fellow so now we are trying to get back ahold of her to let her know that we will pick him up.
    Anonymous

• Well since the dog can't say it, I will. Thank you for saving that poor animal from a death it doesn't deserve. :)
    Anonymous

• sheep dogs are great with kids! The only draw back is that require a ton of grooming. You can save money by taking him to a student groomer if there is a grooming school in your area. Or have him trimmed short short short. make the kids brush him every day. Not just the top hair either-- his belly and back too!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:33 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Their hair mats up something fierce. If you have kids and a busy life and don't want to spend loads of time brushing, I really recommend having the hair shaved. If you do decide to keep his natural coat get the right brushes! Buy a slicker brush and a comb, don't waste time with the bristle brushes, all they do is brush the top layer and leave the mats to the bottom. :) Other than that, they can be really great dogs. I have only met one that didn't like kids, but he was older and had never really been around them.
    Sheacat

Answer by Sheacat at 2:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2010