Im worried about my mother.

My mother raised us alone. I was the last one to move out of the house. She got depressed and quit wanting to go home. Now she lives with my brother and his wife. His wife is very upset that she still pays for her home but still lives with them. My brother likes having her as a live in babysitter. This is causing great conflict in their marriage. I know she is afraid of being alone. Can you tell me any way to help her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:14 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• She needs to get a roomate or a cat!
    Anonymous

• well i dont understand why shes paying for her home and living with them .. but i dont see any problem in her living with them, or with you! my grandparents live with my dad and stepmom, and my grandmother has a mother daughter house with my aunt and her husband. i plan on for sure having a mother daughter house with my mom as soon we both can afford it! i love my mom, shes my best friend and i can only imagine what its like when you grow up and get old and you SO dies, and your alone, or you just need help with things, or you want to still feel needed and help your children. nothing wrong with that! if your brothers wife is giving him a hard time because she doesnt want your mother there, i think she needs to get over herself and shut the hell up.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:18 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Can you get her to participate in Church functions? Maybe she could meet someone as a companion. She needs to live her own life. What about Senior Citizen Centers? They offer lots of activities like traveling with groups, Casino trips, Theater trips etc. Also local Libraries offer activities like Computers, Yoga, Exercise programs, mahjong games etc. Maybe she can volunteer at a local Hospital to answer phones or hand out magazines. There are a lot of groups for her too. It takes effort to have fun & enjoy yourself & sometimes people need a push to start. Research these options & discuss it with her. She may be depressed & this will also help clear her head. She needs activity.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:36 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• My grandmother has a roommate that moved in with her - she's younger than my gmother and does the heavy cleaning around the house and pays a small amount of rent. My great aunt had the same situation set up when she was alive. But the biggest benefit has been the companionship! I would recommend she try it - as long as she's already paying for her house, she should live there. Another single lady around her age would be ideal!

Answer by missanc at 1:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2010