To those crafty $$ saving moms, how do you do it?? I mean really??

My friend can go to Publix and spend like 75 bucks on over $200 worth of groceries, I've seen it done on t.v. where they spend lik $20 on $100 or more of groceries. I clip coupons sometimes, but rarely find any for products or goods that we actually use. I'd just like to have a small bit of that talent, with a family of soon to be 6, anyways to cut costs is worth it to me!

Jessica_5

Asked by Jessica_5 at 1:24 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• www.couponmom.com
    www.hip2save.com
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:27 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Buy store brand items, cuopons on whatever you can hget them for. Use online coupons, just go to google put in online coupons and you're on your way. You can also buy sale items! I once got 20 boxes of mac and cheese for 10 bucks and it was organic! I buy 95% organic and spend $340 a month on food!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 1:29 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Geez, I don't really ever clip coupons or anything. But I have recently saved a bunch on grocery money by going every other day to get groceries. And finding things that are on sale, or marked down. And eating leftovers. We used to throw out alot, but just doing those things have saved us alot. GL, it must be hard feeding a family of 6! Its hard for me to find stuff cause both my husband and my son are really picky eaters.
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 1:30 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• and www.thegrocerygame.com

Bottom line - you can't just use coupons. You get the coupons every week, save them until the items they're for go on sale, use the coupons on top of the sale price, and buy extra so you'll still have them when it's no longer on sale. Also, you need to use the biggest paper in your area - that might mean going out of state, but you want big city - like in Southern Wisconsin or Michigan and Northern Indiana you get the Chicago Tribune (Sunday's only). If you're only getting your local paper you're missing the majority of the coupons that are out there. Also check out "All You" - it's a magazine they only sell at WalMart. It's hit or miss, but it has an index of all the coupons in each issue at the back. Check the list and if you see enough you'll use, get it (just don't use the coupons at walmart, you'll find better deals at a real grocery store that doubles or triples)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:32 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I usually spend a couple hours going through the sale ads and coupons trying to match up coupons with what is on sale. I take coupons with me that seem like a good deal on their own and see if I can find it for sale at the store.
    Anonymous

• It's work. You have to meal plan, then stick to it. Grocery shop and don't let yourself "wander'. Make a list, clip coupons, and then try to stick to that as best you can.
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 2:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I used to spend close to $1000 a month on groceries for a family of 4 - we ate expensive foods and I didn't shop around. Out of necessity we have tightened our budget. Now I spend less than $100 a week. You absolutely have to have a meal plan in order to save money on food. I pull out the newspaper, review the sales sheets and write out our meals for the week. It is so much easier to have a plan. I clip coupons, but I don't buy the things I don't need no matter what the sale price. If my family really likes something - say velveeta shells and cheese - I look online and try to find coupons. Many companies give out free samples of new products with really good coupons. http://www.mysavings.com/ It is all a game.
    jennwyse

Answer by jennwyse at 3:48 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• there are just three of us; we spend around $80 a week on groceries. here are my best tips for saving at the grocery store:

Make at least some of your own cleaning products. This has the added bonus of bringing fewer toxins into your home
    This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

Stop buying paper towels and napkins. Cloth napkins are more fun! Pick up cheap cotton towels at your favorite second hand shop. Save money and trees!!

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 9:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Past the age of 2, the only beverage that humans need is water. Stop buying juice and sodas; buy milks only for cooking and cereal. You can liven up water with slices of fruits and vegetables; make ice cubes with blueberry eyeballs for the kids.

Replace meats with beans, lentils, tofu, seitan, etc. You can save even more money by using dried beans and lentils and making your own seitan.

Cook from scratch! Home cooked foods taste so much better than the nasty boxed stuff, and you will feel better because you are eating healthier foods.

Replace simple grains (white flour, white rice, white pasta, etc.) with whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole grain breads, etc.). While whole grains may cost more, they have more nutrition and are more filling, so they really are the better value.

cont

• Frozen fruits and vegetables have a longer shelf life than fresh and retain their nutrition longer; they are often a better, less expensive option than fresh.

Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner. Popular options at my house are: yogurt parfaits with frozen berries and whole grain cereal; veggies omelets with a bit of cheese and whole grain toast; whole grain pancakes with fruit.

Instead of baking a whole batch of cookies, make and freeze cookie dough balls. No one will be tempted to sneak a cookie (you know who you are) and when you do have cookies they will be fresh baked.
    Only go to the grocery store every 8 days. Before you shop, plan all of your meals and snacks for the next 8 days. Write your list, based on what you need to complete your meal plan. Pull any necessary coupons; eat before you go (never go to the grocery store hungry).

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 9:16 PM on Jun. 18, 2010