Does anyone know why my 4 year old son has recently started repeating his words?

GeminiJewels

Asked by GeminiJewels at 1:32 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Over correction is the fastest way to stuttering.
    Anonymous

• My 9 year old daugher started it about 2 years ago when my 2nd dd was born. She would argue with me that she was not repeating herself. She was not aware of it. The Dr. said she would grow out of it and she has for the most part except when she is very nervous and only with me. She does public speaking in 4H and does fine!
    2girlsloveme

Answer by 2girlsloveme at 2:23 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• My youngest went through that phase too when he was about 4. It is a short lived phase luckily. We said nothing about it and he outgrew it. He just turned 6 and speaks perfectly well.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 4:26 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• There poor brains go much faster than their mouths... sometimes they do not know what is coming out. Just let him work it out and remain calm. Flustering him or interrupting his train of thought will not help. :-)
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 8:39 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• My son did that around 5 for awhile; perhaps it is a mental growth spurt ;o)
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 10:27 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• That is very normal. He likes to hear himself speak. This is the impressionable age and his brain is like a sponge. He is retaining information.
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 12:21 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Ur not suppose to correct them or punish them...I took some early childhood classes and learned that in my class. It's something they go threw.

Anonymous