I've learned a whole new appreciation for sahm's.

This isn't a question, but I didn't know where else to put it. I work for the school district, so I get my summers off. I've never been a sahm, but I don't work very many hours during the day and I have all holidays and weekends off so I spend more time with them than the babysitter, which is grandma. We are 3 weeks in to summer vacation and I am wore out already. It's tough being with them 24/7. I have 3 kids ages 6,5, and 1 and I forgot what it was like to never get away. I actually envy dh in the morning when he's leaving for work. I love being able to be home all day to go to the park and play in the sprinkler with them and things like that, I just can't believe the energy it takes. Not to mention the days I go without a shower, and the non social life I have now.
I'm not complaining, just sharing. And I completely sympathize with sahm's and my hat is off to you. This is indeed one of the hardest jobs ever!

Quentinsmamma

Asked by Quentinsmamma at 1:41 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• yeah.... tell me about it. i love my son but man i cant wait to get a job!
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:54 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• It's exhausting, isn't it? I think you have the kind of life a lot of us would like, being able to work and know your kids are with a trusted relative (not knocking daycare, I just would have have my kids with grandma) so you can concentrate on your job and get to have a social life too. lol I would love to be able to have one of the grandmas babysit our kids, we have two, but it is not possible. We live too far away from each of them. I can identify completely with the envy as your husband going to work. I feel like that a lot. Enjoy your summer though. It will go quickly!
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 1:55 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• It is one of the many near- thankless jobs out there. I never realized how much work I would put into being a SAHM until I started. I thought it would be all pedicures and tea time but its kinda hard to have tea with the girls when we all have squirmy little bodies everywhere!

Thank you for your appreciation. And thank you for your work in our schools! I am amazed at how people complain about their taxes going up to help improve our kids' educations!
    Anonymous

• I think working moms just get out of the groove of it most of the time (not all). We're all just in different situations. By the end of summer you'll be back in the groove and won't want to go back to work and will be used to taking care of those kiddos again! xo
    Anonymous

• I love how my husband thinks his job is so much harder than mine and then when I leave him alone with our son for an hour he calls asking for help or for me to come home. It is funny to me.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 1:58 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Aqua my husband is the same. He always says he works full time and I only work part time. I tell him that he's so clueless to what I do in a day while I'm not working. Then the few times that I get to run to the store or somewhere without taking all the kids, he's calling saying hurry up. He's a good daddy, but he deffinately needs help.
    Quentinsmamma

Answer by Quentinsmamma at 2:21 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I have 4 kids (4, 7, 8 and 10) and I'm 35 weeks pregnant. I've been a SAHM for 10 years and it's mentally and emotionally exhausting. Never mind the physical stuff. Right now my 10yo is throwing a tantrum because I told her she couldn't go swimming because she refuses to do any chores and acts like a brat to everyone. She's been crying for 20 minutes now. I now have a migraine.
    Sometimes I wish I had a job to escape to. My husband doesn't complain because he knows I could do his job if I had to but he could NEVER do what I do all day long.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:48 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Thanks so much! I am so thankful I have a husband who really appreciates what I do and doesn't complain that the house never seems to be all clean!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 2:55 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Aqua Jen and Quentinsmamma, we have that in common. I have been a sahm for almost 6 years now. My husband and I have two kids. But once I took a weekend trip out of town with my mom and aunts and girl cousins, basically all the womenfolk of our family lol. And my husband called almost every hour. At the end of each day, he asked me how did I do it. Where did I get the energy to deal with them 24/7 all week long! It was great, I just laughed. I said imagine you had 3 more days to go, and I had to go out of town again, so 5 more days. It was an eye opener for him. Now every saturday and sometimes sunday afternoons, he takes the kids by himself for several hours to give me moment's peace and a long quiet uninterrupted shower to pamper myself. Thank you OP for ur words. We mothers do and sacrifice so much and it goes unnoticed.
    skitNbearsmom

Answer by skitNbearsmom at 2:59 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I hear ya!!

My Daughter wears me out during the day.  My husband takes over when he gets home from work. Bathing my DD, reading to her and putting her to bed. He always says I deserve to relax since he gets deployed alot and I have to do it alone . So when he is home he wants to make sure he makes things easier for me.

Mom2princessq

Answer by Mom2princessq at 3:01 PM on Jun. 18, 2010