Cows milk

Is it that bad to give your kid to much milk. If thats all they want to drink and cries if they dont have it?

jpuls

Asked by jpuls at 2:16 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• to much WHOLE milk, like more than a few glasses a day is not so great, saturated fat.

try cutting it with almond milk or soy milk and see if they notice.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:21 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• well vitamin d milk can cause your child to gain weight so maybe 2% milk with every meal would be better and get your dr's recommendation of a vitamin to take daily. my nephew cries for juice all the time but i DON'T give it to him!!!!! maybe you should give your child water and tell em it's that or nothing! my nephew ends up drinking the water in the end!
    LoveKillsSlowly

Answer by LoveKillsSlowly at 2:21 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Well, you can give too much of anything.
    Just water it down a little, like 3/4 milk, 1/4 water. Or if that doesn't work, add just a little more water to each cup. If you do it slow enough, the kid won't know.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:22 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Actually u should never "water" milk..... it changes the structure and depletes the calcium and other nutritional values.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:28 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I know from 1 to 2 years old they are supposed to have 24oz max. I just had this talk with my pedi :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 2:36 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Yes too much can pose risks. To much fat is one of them and the other is the milk proteins can cause your child to become constipated. My LO gets one 10 oz cup a day. They are only NEED 1/2 of their weight in milk oz. A 20 lb child only needs 10 oz a day. We give water the rest of the day and for a treat my LO gets a 50/50 cup of apple juice and water. I would set a limit for cut off of milk and give a cup of water and you child will eventually drink it. Just like a child won't starve themselves going a few days with only one drink won't kill them either until they figure it out.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• yes, milk isnt really good for them any way
    clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 6:38 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn’t digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 9:45 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Yes. Too much cow's milk can cause toddlers to become anemic, especially if they are drinking it in place of eating other healthy foods. Milk should be limited to no more than 24oz. per day. Dairy can also be constipating.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 10:51 AM on Jun. 19, 2010