medical marijuana for ADHD kids--yay or nay?

I saw somewhere on the stir that a mother from RI was giving her autistic son medical marijuana, it is all natural and better than regular medications with far less side effects. Will how about for kids that can't sit still and concentrate in class. I want to try it with my child but our state has no medical marijuana regulations yet. I think it is a good all natural--organic medical solution and personally believe that marijuana would be 100% legal for everyone if the United States could figure out away to sucessfully tax it. Of course I will not try it on my child because it is illegal and I am not taking any chances I was just wondering how others felt?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Health

• i would not let my child smoke, but there are other means of consumption. i would try those. i dont see a difference, get your kid high on some synthetic drug that makes them an alien to their own body, or give them something that will settle them down and give them the munchies. personaly i cant consentrate when i smoke it, let alone read.
    Anonymous

• I don't know. I used to smoke weed and it would burn me out for a week! Maybe it's just me but that stuff made me ADD, definitely not ADHD, but ADD.
    I wouldn't give it to my child, but to each their own.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 2:35 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I think it should be an option to try.... and see if it works. Every person and their body/system/tummy is different.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:35 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I would go for the natural solution everytime, it is worth a try.

Answer by older at 2:42 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Not unless it were absolutely necessary. I am not for meds but if his grades were dropping then he may have to have some medical intervention.
    anna_mccall

Answer by anna_mccall at 3:17 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• No I would'nt,but then I dont know what smmoking the natural stuff is like if it burns your throat or not and if it makes you dopey.
    But I thought all mary jay was natural.
    Anonymous

• with all the people i know who have been prescribed or had prescribed for their kids and all the resulting problems i would never put my kid on ritalin and am wary of other ADHD meds - the whole thing is overdiagnosed anyway. if it were shown to work, why not try it? i don't really understand the stigma attached to marijuana, particularly for medical use, in this country that has "magic little pills" for anything and everything you can think of and where alcohol is legal. i don't understand people who would rather give their children potentially and even proven harmful synthetic speed and condemn marijuana... i would, of course, not let my child smoke it as that can cause lung cancer.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 3:49 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Marijuana had never been linked to lung cancer, and I'd be all for a marijuana "pill" when pertaining to children. The trouble with a pill would be, the fact that the government (FDA,whatever) would end up making it UNNAtural in some way. But if they sold empty pill capsules, it would be possible to grind the product up small and fill the capsule yourself. That might even be just the right amount for a child to have without maKING them all loopy and high. I'd be open to the possibility if it was presented correctly/.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 8:30 PM on Jun. 25, 2010