Am I the only who thinks it's important?

To correct your children when they mispronounce something. I feel that you will inevitably write the way you speak, so it is important to always speak proper English. For example; this girl I know is pregnant, and was constantly complaining on facebook about the baby pushing on her blatter. After the fourth time, I couldn't take it anymore and had to tell her it's bladder, not blatter. The problem was she has always mispronounced it, and so naturally spelled it incorrectly too.

I always correct my children when they say something wrong. Right now they are young, 4 and 6, and so they are still learning the ins and outs of language. It's important to me that they learn it correctly from the get go. Their biggest problems are with past tense verbs, they will say falled instead of fell, or gived instead of gave. I don't make a big fuss about it, I simply repeat back to them what they said in the correct fashion.

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 2:35 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• That's why I banned "Baby Talk" in our house and hound the 13y/o SS about speaking properly.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:26 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Yes, because many people will associate poor grammar with lack of intelligence.

My daughter is 2.5, so we cut her some slack :) But we usually speak properly around her.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:38 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• The only thing I really worry about is "aint". I can not stand that word and when she says it, I just look at her and say "what?". Then she says something else.
    I just try to speak the proper way around her and figure in the end, she'll catch on. I don't want to spend the whole day with her correcting her english.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:39 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I don't. I enjoy their baby talk and cute mispronunciations. My 4 year old eats "frownies" and goes to the playfround". My older 2 talk perfectly now. I know he will outgrow it in time. For now I enjoy it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• that's what i do. my dd has a problem with the same thing. all the questions on here that use double negatives drive me nuts. i don't correct them, but i do correct my dd. she is 3 and speaks very well. she is very careful when she pronounces her words.

jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:41 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I don't know if I'd correct how my children spoke, probably, if they had a lisp and it would help with their speech impediment. However, I'm from the North, and then... I'm living in the south, and people do pronounce words differently than me, but that's a culture type of thing. So... I'm half/half.
    My MIL, which drives me absolutely batshit crazy, pronounces words weird (VERY southern) but her whole entire family doesn't! Like... she'll say Pro-gruhm for Program, but her mother, sister...brothers pronounce is Pro-GRAM. It's weird. And she does spell words how she pronounces or says it. Hisself, computour, theeater.
    I try not to be excessively annoying and correct though. Each to their own.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 2:41 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• And, I agree with anng.atlanta. Most people do associate poor grammar, pronunciation, spelling with lack of intelligence. It may not ALWAYS be the case, but that's one of the first conclusions people jump to. I know I do when I talk to my DH's side of the family, is it true that they lack intelligence. Yep. Book smart wise, not street wise.
    So, with my own kids, I probably would be a lot more anal with them.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 2:44 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• You are exactly right in the way you are teaching them by repeating back to them what they said but in the correct form. You are not pointing the mistake out to them and everyone else around you, but in an indirect way your are correcting them without singling them out. Good job.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 2:46 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I do the same thing you do. My 3 year old has some speech problems, so it's not so much the grammar I'm worried about right now as the actual mispronunciation (dars for cars, meemy for grammy, etc.). But whenever he says something (that I understand, anyway), I always repeat it back to him correctly so he hears it the way it's supposed to sound.

In generaly, though, I'm a total grammar freak anyway, like some people are neat freaks. I got it from my mom. It drives my husband up the wall, but at least my kids will be understandable!
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I can't seem to help it. My kids say something wrong, and the correction just pops out of my mouth. I don't scold them for it, and I don't make them repeat it or harp on them or anything like that. Most time's I simply repeat what they said, but slip in the correction for them to hear. Like my son will say, "He falled off the couch." And the I will say, "Oh he fell off the couch."
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 2:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2010