I have a 21 1/2 pound 7 month old (I know he is chunky) when do I get a front facing car seat?

kidoneachleg00

Asked by kidoneachleg00 at 3:20 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would wait until he is one regardless of how much he weighs
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 3:23 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• You should try to wait as close to a year as possible. He's not that big!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:24 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• You HAVE to wait until he's at least one year. regardless of weight. You can get him a convertible carseat that rear faces and then switch him forward facing once he's over 1. The longer you can keep him rear facing the safer he is.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 3:28 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Have you watched any YouTube crash test videos? I assure you, you will want to keep him rearfacing until 4. The law is one year AND 20 lbs. But, they are debating on making it age 2.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:30 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I agree with what they "mnt 2 b mommy" said. My son was big ole chunky munky too! I got one of those convertible carseats for him, and I will admit that I turned it forwards when he was about 9 months instead of waiting the full year. But I know that your supposed to wait. Just wanted to let you know those car seats are awesome ;)
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 3:30 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Legal minimum for foward facing is one year and 20 lbs
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I would try to wait until he is around a year old. My son was a big baby too and put him in a convertible car seat around 8 months and then turned it to forward facing when he was 11 months old.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 3:36 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• 1 year is outdated information. Bare Minimum is 2 years, but as long as possible is the recommendation for good reason. Watch these crash test videos to understand why it is extremely important to rear face as long as possible. Beyond age two.

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1604548/Rear_Face_Your_Child_for_As_Long_as_Possible_4_or_5_Years_Watch_this_Video_and_See_Why

Forward facing a small child is negligence. It can cause very serious injury. And it can be DEADLY if you are in an accident. It is not a matter to take lightly or to dismiss so non-chalantly as some people seem to do

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:37 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• if you are really worried about him in his current seat, get a convertible that does rear facing. that's what I'm going to do when dd hits the weight limit on her current seat.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• One year is still the standard, per my pediatrician. At any rate, you should keep him rear facing until at least then because of their neck muscles/control of the head.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2010