CARSEAT QUEST? How do you rear-face a 1 or 2+ year old? Where do they put thier feet & legs? Just curious.

When the carseat rear-faces, the front of the seat is pushed up against the cars seat. So where do they put thier feet & legs? If the legs have to be squished up to thier chest, then how is that safe? This is a serious question, I am not judging, just want to know. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Health

• My sons are rear facing at 2.5 and 4.5 and no their legs are not squished to their chests. They are very comfortable. The larger convertible seats (we have the Sunshine kids radian80xtsl are made for rear facing older children). My 2 year olds legs barely touch the back of the seat. My 4 year old either crosses his legs, or props them on the back of the seat. Rear facing is by far safer. Childrens spines are not fully fused until around age 6 before that they are at greater risk of neck and back injuries (including internal decapitation).
    Here is a link to a pic gallery of Extended rear facing children
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum.aspx
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 3:45 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I'm not a ERF advocate but kids can cross their legs in their seat. It's not like their legs are all bunched up and crap.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 3:42 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• So the kids have to sit "indian Style"?
    Anonymous

• I also have a great link a video on the importance of rear facing... it is 6 minutes long but the crash test footage is close to the end of the video... this is what I show family members who question why I rear face my sons.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8gU9zzCGA8
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 3:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• LaciD: Thank you for the info & on the convertible seats. I will look into them :)
    Anonymous