Will you watch and contribute?

NEW YORK — CNN and Larry King are presenting a telethon Monday to benefit victims of the Gulf of Mexico oil spill.

Celebrities on the special two-hour edition of "Larry King Live" will include Justin Bieber (BEE'-bur), Ted Danson, Cameron Diaz, Randy Jackson and Robert Redford, as well as a performance by Sting.

CNN said Friday that guests will visit with King on set and by satellite. They will also participate in the program's telephone banks taking viewer calls.

Ryan Seacrest will host an online suite for viewers using social media like Facebook.

"Disaster in the Gulf: How You Can Help" is aimed at raising funds for the United Way, National Wildlife Federation and The Nature Conservancy. The telethon will air 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. Eastern.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 3:45 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, I'll watch and contribute.
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 3:49 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I dont think we can contribute...we are down her neck up IN it! I am volunteering tho and I will watch! I am VERY glad they aer doing it and I understand the FB call on this BUT we NEED hands and boats and organization from someone in CHARGE not 30 people with their fingers up their butts :(

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 4:08 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• How long did it take to organize a benefit for Haiti? For Katrina? And just now there is one being set up for the oil spill. Which if Obama had been a true leader from the get go, and accepted help from those who knew what to do, we wouldn't even need.

I feel for everyone affected, but seriously, I can't pay my damn mortgage this month. So I hope you all forgive me, because I won't be watching (I can't stand Larry King) and I have no money to contribute.
    Anonymous

• I will not watch, nor will I contribute to Larry King's telethon. Why? Because I do not know how much of what I would be donating will ACTUALLY get to where it is supposed to go!!! I will only donate to those organizations that show WHERE their money goes--everyone else should do the same!

Here's a great site if you'd like to research how charities and non-profits spend their money! And my link will take you directly to the Gulf Spill, which lists the top rated organizations managing the clean up! I will be donating to the top ones listed.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=1066

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:26 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• And seriously, does anyone think that Larry King REALLY needs to draw a $200,000 salary as the President of his own Cardiac Foundation? Do you even think he knows what his namesake organization does on a daily basis--especially given that in his latest deal with CNN, he earns $7 million per year in base salary with the possibility of going up to $14 million per year when stock options and other initiatives are considered?!

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=7117

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:35 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• 4:08 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 by: momof030404
    I dont think we can contribute...we are down her neck up IN it! I am volunteering tho and I will watch! I am VERY glad they aer doing it and I understand the FB call on this BUT we NEED hands and boats and organization from someone in CHARGE not 30 people with their fingers up their butts
    ********************
    you said "Fingers up their butts ? WHY do you throw in those neauseatingly crude phrases? It just doesn't do a thing for your credibilty.....sounds just awful. Gross. The Terms of Service says we should not use gross or bad language....just sayin' ....they might not approve.
    I'm going to watch and contribute because it is important.
    "We are down here up IN it"...what does that mean?
    Anonymous

• Nope, not watching and I think I will use LoriKeet's link to find an organization that uses most of it's funds for charitable giving instead of on higher fundraising and administrative expenses. Nothing bothers me more than giving to an organization that I want to help, only to have them spend tons of that money to send me gifts hoping for more donations. No thanks. Looking at the salary drawn in by Larry King Jr., it's about $70,000 more than some of the other salaries drawn by other organization presidents.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:16 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• So don't send money. Matter of Trust is collecting nylons, fur, hair, fleece and feathers to create booms and hair mats. I will not be donating any money as I am donating my time almost daily to creating these booms, as well as walking the beaches and cleaning up what I can. I am waiting to start wildlife rescue training. The turtles, egrets, and herons here need my hands more then they need my pocketbook.
    Anonymous

• Well I would think that they would have done a better job of promoting it! I have CNN on my FB page and didn't see one mention of this all week.
    Anonymous

• Matter of Trust is collecting nylons, fur, hair, fleece and feathers to create booms and hair mats. I will not be donating any money as I am donating my time almost daily to creating these booms
    *****
    Are these being used? I was helping to spread the word thru hair dressing friends then we saw notice that BP was refusing them? Since they can't reclaim the oil out of them they don't want to use them. Has this changed?
    Anonymous