Do you think buying organic food is a sham?

I'm on the fence. We buy organic meat and milk, but everything else I'm not sure if it's worth the money. I just don't want the growth hormones.
How about you? Rip off or worth it?

theutilitarian

Asked by theutilitarian at 4:22 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Health

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4hx6ZjB8Jo

Watch this and then tell me what you think.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 4:38 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• i'm with you. milk and meat. it's worth it to not have the hormones. maybe the produce just because it tastes so much better.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 4:27 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I always buy organic dairy and meat if it's available. (Stonyfield farm is my favorite for milk & yogurt.) It's not a sham, they are very well regulated.

With produce, it just depends on where I shop. I've seen Giant Eagle (grocery store) stack organic and non-organic produce on the same cart; there has to be some cross-contamination there. Heinans (another grocery store that isn't as large) has their sections independant of each other, and they handle the produce using separate equipment, I'm more likely to buy it from them. I will buy the organics from our local farmer's market.

Pre packaged organic things are the ones I'm leery of. The labeling can be very misleading, for example; "made with organic wheat flour" and then have non-organic things in it as well. I usually don't buy organic prepackaged anything, I don't trust that it truly is.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:30 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• It is just a way for them to make more money. Plus how the heck do you know they really tell the truth. I will just keep getting what I get and save us money.

Anonymous

• Depends have you taste organic bananas they test much better than the conventional ones.
    Anonymous

• Haha GinnTonic. What the f*ck kind of bullsh*t is that:)
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 4:43 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• It's funny how most of the people preferred the non-organic food. lol
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 4:53 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Yeah I just went through it quickly. It was interesting, though. This is why I get confused about the whole organic trend. There is so much condradicting information(just like everything else).
    I think I'm going to continue with the meat and dairy and stop everything else.

The video is funny:)
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 5:18 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I think it is bogus.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 5:53 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• It's like anything else - just because a box says "healthy" or "low fat" or "organic" doesn't mean it's automatically better. You have to do your own research.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:33 PM on Jun. 18, 2010