How is the BP oil spill affecting you?

I would love to hear what everybody has to say, but espicially people who live in the south and are very close to it.

mama-ellie

Asked by mama-ellie at 4:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• (We live near Cleveland, Ohio) We take a family vacation to Port St Joe, FL every year. We rent a big house on the beach - it's always fun and sometimes we will bring friends or other family members. Our vacation is 7/10 - 7/17 this year. We don't know if the beaches will be closed, or how safe it will be for the children. We plan on going (unless our pedi says no, we have a 2.5 yo preemie who is still very small), and helping in the clean up effort. We also think it's important to support the businesses down there that are going to suffer because of the lack of tourists. I have several friends that live in LA and FL; I worry about them and what this will do to their health and the economy. Our band is doing a fund raiser in August to help the fishermen that are out of work due to the spill. We're scuba divers, and it breaks our heart to think about the effect this is going to have on the gulf long-term.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 5:04 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• In Mobile, AL here. Its awful. I know a LOT of people whose livelihoods are going right down the tubes. Everytime I turn on the news (local AND national) I am swamped with images that break my heart! The beaches I grew up on, the water creatures I chased around those beaches and discovered are all going to be gone for my kids :( I know aLOT of people down here of all races and politics are VERY aggravated with how this is being handled. WE need HELP not promises. We need HANDS not words. I am glad that people will be compensated...BUT if BP goes bankrupt WHERE is the money going to come from? I would rather see it FIXED! Mu hubby works construction...I am worried that as the tourism goes bad that the need for new roads and buildings will diminish and affect our income too! And omg the animals!! They are coming IN to get away from the oil and are suffocating AND creating health concerns!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• me personally not much but i certainly feel awful for those who are. this is just ridiculous and should have been fixed a long time ago.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 7:24 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• mommaof03 - I'm in Mobile as well. It makes me sadder and sadder everyday. On the one hand, I feel lucky that Dauphin Island is being passed by for the most part. On the other hand, it just makes it that much worse in Baldwin Co. My husband is a sound engineer for a relatively popular band and they played The Hangout last night. He said it didn't smell, but they all had respiratory symptoms and swollen, irritated eyes from the Benzene and Hydrogen Sulfide in the air. Many of my friends and family members have lost the only way of life they have known for generations. It's almost ironic -- we weathered the recession fairly well, all things considered, because of our proximity to the water. Now the one thing that saved us is being destroyed.
    Anonymous

• If effects me because it effects citizens of my country. It effects the eco-systems of my country. It will effect me directly soon enough in higher prices and opportunistic legislation. Those of you directly on the front lines of this have my prayers offered up every day.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:57 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• We're on the FL gulf and as yet haven't seen the oil directly but our economy has taken a big hit from people canceling plans worried about it. Not only that but predictions have it possibly surrounding the state if it's pulled along in the current; which would make the air pretty much across the state reach close to toxic levels...and there are those who are 'bored by the story' as was stated in another post.

Not to mention the loss of habitats; animals: water, air, and land; jobs for likely decades; just gone. Companies that have been in business for over a hundred years in LA with no idea WTH they're going to do now?

IMO this does affect each and every one of us; maybe to different degrees but it does; or at least it should!
    Anonymous

• Im in Biloxi, Ms and well, nothing major has happened yet... Pascagoula beach is closed..but Biloxi is still open...but not for much longer. Im technically from Ocean Springs, and THANK GOD for a politician with brains..our mayor has a oil absorbing fence put up along the front beach here.... atleast SOMETHING is better than NOTHING.The only change in my life is my brother in law now FINALLY has a job doing oil spill clean up.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 1:50 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Generally, I'm just sad and very worried about it. I'm also pretty angry that the government is seeming to be so lax on it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:20 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• It's not right now and it wouldn't at all except that the government has banned oil exploration and drilling. I live right on the ship channel where one after the other the chemical and oil companies will start laying off. My husband works at one company on that ship channel. Thank goodness it isn't a chemical plant but they do sell product to them so his hours are in danger just when he was getting hours back after losing them Jan of 2009. The oil company headquarters in Houston have already started laying off. The drilling companies have no reason to keep employees on when there is no drilling. We have oil on our beaches but the government has made sure there is plenty of hurt to go around.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• ^^ Thought you were bored with this topic?
    Anonymous