Should Americans stop eating fish as result of the oil spill?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Food & Drink

• No just know where your fish comes from. I eat fresh fish even ocean fish caught locally here in WA, and there is no problem with it. We do have a problem with shellfish right now because of red tide, and its bad enough where 1 lb of shellfish thats infected could kill you if you eat it according to news reports, so we are not eating any shellfish right now either from here or the gulf, but the fish, especially freshwater fish, is fine. I do not eat farmed fish if I can help it because its not as healthy, and sometime has higher mercury, but overall there is no problem with fish caught in alaska, or on the pacific coast, or up near Maine, etc.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:57 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• A lot fish are farm raised so no.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 4:49 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• only wild caught. most are not.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 4:51 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• No. As the PP said, a lot of the fish sold is farm-raised. (A lot is imported as well.) I have a great fishmonger, they inspect everything before they buy it from their suppliers. I trust that they won't sell anything even questionable. (They've been in business 100+ years, fantastic reputation.)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:52 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• i would say most of the fish arent from the Gulf. I wouldnt trust shrimp or any other shellfish though
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:53 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Freshwater fish, no issue.

Warm-water ocean seafood, I'd want to know the source.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:58 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Ummm...there's no oil in the water where I live so that would be retarted. The fish in our waters are fine. In fact, my husband and father in law caught 13 fish last night and you bet your ass we're gonna eat them. Alnog with halibut and salmon. But it sucks because the Gulf is where shrimp comes from and we kind of like shrimp, so that's out.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 4:58 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I don't see why. The majority of out seafood is farm raised and a great majority come from the Alaska or Maine Regions not the Gulf... Just pay attention to where your food comes from.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:31 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• The Gulf has nothing to do with it. People shouldn't eat fish because it's bad for the planet, bad for them, and extremely cruel to the fish. The BP disaster is just one oil spill. A big one to be sure but there are other oil spills and hundreds of other pollutants pouring in to the oceans every day.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 4:18 PM on Jun. 19, 2010