How do I help my 4 year old overcome rejection

I am a stay at home mom. My 4 year old has never been to daycare/preschool and interacts 1 time per week with other kids his age. His regular playmate is his 2 year old brother. In May, he was invited to a b-day party where he knew none of the kids and when he attempted to befriend a couple of the boys they were very mean to him. SInce then, he has become very nervous and anxious when we get around a group of kids and sticks by me the entire time. It breaks my heart to see him so worried about making friends. How can I help him? Have any of you experienced this with your kids? He is giong to Pre-K part-time in 2 mo and I am hoping this will help him be more at ease around other kids.

cecilia0823

Asked by cecilia0823 at 5:09 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He REALLY needs more socialization, after a while he will grow thicker skin. You really need to expose him to children his age, just taking him to the playground regularly helps.
    Anonymous

• You are right. I realize that he needs more socialization. He does go to the park 2 times per week on a regular basis. He has been in YMCA soccer and t-ball and I have regular playdates for him at least 2-3 times per month. HE does well with kids if it is one on one, but strange kids in large groups freak him out.
    cecilia0823

Answer by cecilia0823 at 5:25 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Strange kids in large groups freak me out too... there are a lot of mean children out there. Just keep doing what you're doing. Once he goes to school, he'll meet kids that he'll enjoy being friends with. No sense in trying to make him play with or enjoy the company of meanies.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 8:41 PM on Jun. 18, 2010