Too early to potty learn?

My son is 13 months old. He screams bloody murder and puts up a huge fight each and everytime he gets his diaper changed! It is such a challenge. I'm wondering if maybe we could start working on potty learning with him? Or is it too soon? I know everyone has a different view point on the age of potty "training", but any input would be appreciated! I would never force him to use the potty and I don't intend to push it real hard. I would only be doing this to elimate the struggle at diaper changing times for both his and my benefit. The only reason I'm not sure about this is because he is just learning to walk and getting some words so he is focused on walking and talking right now, and I don't know if it would be "over loading" him by introducing the potty.

Miss_Kay

Asked by Miss_Kay at 5:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• You can start trying whenever you want it won't hurt him. Usually a baby has the ability to start controlling their bladder about 6 months after they start walking. Some just aren't mentally ready, though.
    Anonymous

• Never too early!!!!! Most likely he won't be completely potty trained for a while, but he can learn! My nine month old would go on the toilet whenever I sat her on it. I still have her in diapers because she doesn't tell me she needs to go, but it has helped a ton. We use a lot less diapers. The biggest thing is him learning what it is that you want him to do on the toilet. Once he figures out what it means to go to the bathroom on the toilet, he will begin to learn how to use those muscles and hold it! Good luck. I am starting my baby (6 months) when I get back from vacation.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 5:20 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I say go ahead and try. I would get a kitchen timer and use that to help him learn how to stop playing and use the potty. The first day I set it for every 20 mins. and we sat on the potty for 5 mins. Sometimes we had success and other we didn't. It takes severe persistence. You can get him trained if you have the perseverance and patience. Good luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:38 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• maybe he screames because he thinks the diaper change takes away from play??
    when you go to the bathroom, make a big deal out of it when you return..."Did I miss anything?"

he seems young to think this way, but older kids are like this

I tried on other chid, and the kid looked at me like I was nuts, but when he had to go, he had no problem, asked if he missed anything and she sister said ... no we waited for you, you did not miss a thing
    Anonymous

• Way too early.
    Anonymous

• Way too early. Holy cow, he's just a baby. Babies scream bloody murder for the stupidest things. If you enjoy headaches, by all means, start now. Good luck with that.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:12 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• MY baby doesn't scream bloody murder for the "stupidest things". In fact, he rarely screams at all. He's a very happy, contented baby most of the time. With the exception of the diaper changing. And yes, he is just a baby and will be so for awhile, however, he is very smart and has learned to do things that has surprised me and things that I've never seen or heard of another baby doing. Like I said, I wouldn't push it. Nor will I when he's older, so no potty "training" headaches for me.
    Miss_Kay

Answer by Miss_Kay at 5:40 PM on Jun. 19, 2010