Do you think it would be ok?

Both of my girls will be taking swim lessons soon on the same days. My 7 yr old has her lesson at 12pm and the 2yr old has hers at 1pm and I have to go in the pool with her. It's a small outdoor pool at a resort/camp outside of town and not open to the public. The pool has a chain link fence around it and a sitting area next to it where parents wait and watch the lessons. Do you think it would be ok for my 7yr old to wait by herself in the sitting area while I go in the pool with my 2yr old or should I hire a babysitter? I would be able to see her and she would be able to see me from the sitting area. There isn't time to drive 7yr old to a babysitter in between lessons so I would have to bring the babysitter with us for the full two hours. My DH thinks it would be ok to just have my 7yr old watch from the side. Do you agree or am I just paranoid?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:02 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• No i think that would be perfectly fine,. Just bring her some coloring books and juice box or something to keep her busy and shes hould be fine. plus maybe shell enjoy watching her little sister learn how to swim
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 6:04 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I think if you can trust her enough to know that she will sit there while your in the pool, then go for it. But if not then get a babysitter or a family mamber to come with y'all. But if you let her sit there just make sure you bring plenty for her to do and some snacks.
    momluvsmiles

Answer by momluvsmiles at 6:05 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I think that you are ok letting her sit and watch the lesson. My only advice is to remember to apply sunscreen on her before you get in the pool with the little one since she'll be sitting in the sun for a little while.
    ErinRenee815

Answer by ErinRenee815 at 6:09 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• At our public pools children 7 and under must have adult supervision.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 7:35 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• If you trust her not to wander off or leave with anyone, and it's not against the rules of the pool, then it's fine. Just remind her not to leave with anyone and remind her of what to do if someone tries to take her or get her to leave.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 8:04 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• It would have been fine for my kids. I don't know your kids.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:09 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• OP here. I know she will be responsible enough to stay put and behave herself and there aren't any rules against it that I'm aware of. It's just that to me it's kind of like leaving her home alone while I walk to the end of the street to the mailbox and I know there are a lot of moms here who would say that is bad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I'm pretty overprotective, and I think that would be okay. Just make sure she is sitting where you can see each other, and bring some things for her to do. Don't let her use the restroom or go anywhere else on her own.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 11:05 AM on Jun. 19, 2010