when to start potty training?

when should i introduce the potty to my son?
he is 1 and is walking, i dont want to push the subject if hes not ready, but introduce it?

when did you start potty training and how did you do it?

joycegina

Asked by joycegina at 6:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Most women on here will tell you not to even start potty training tell 2 years old. But me, I say he is walking. It will not hurt to start putting him on the potty and getting him use to it.

Answer by louise2 at 6:24 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I started with my first at 18 months and my second at 16 months. It took about 6 weeks to have them completely potty trained.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 6:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• We introduced the potty at a year old... just having him sit on it before bath time and things like that. We started training my son this week, he is 23 months. Today is day 4 and he is doing very well... he has a couple of accidents a day but most of the time is going on the toilet! We are pretty sure he'll be daytime trained by his 2nd birthday (doubt that he will at night time yet)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:02 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I gave my son a potty and let him sit on it when he started walking (15 months). I told him what it was for but I didn't push him or try to make him use it. He wasn't actually out of diapers until he turned 2, but I think his being used to and comfortable with sitting on the potty made it easier to transition. And you never know, some kids do potty train at 18 months or so. You'll never know how much time (and money!!!) and heartache you could save if you catch him as soon as he's ready, rather than keeping him in diapers until starts preschool.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 8:16 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• It wouldn't hurt to introduce him to the potty and just see how it goes.
    Doing things like letting him sit while you are using the bathroom will help.
    Just try not to push it too much, you don't want to make it a bad experience.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 8:32 PM on Jun. 18, 2010