i cant stand the speech therapist... more of a vent but advice welcomed

so i went ahead with the appointment today....and OMG i seriously wanted to strangle her. she suppose to be here working with my 2.5yr with her speech...and instead of working with her she is telling me that my DD should be potty trained already and i should take the potty chair outside and have her in panties and take he potty every 10 min outside...i snapped i told her there is no way in hell im gonna do that, ill do it my way. it took my boys until they were 3 to be potty trained, but it got done.
then she said i should let her use scissors to cut open packages...i said not gonna happen, i dont feel comfortable with her and scissors even the safety ones at this point.
then she says well you need to make the boys read to her...umm no i read to her and sometimes the boys will but its their choice i wont make them do that.
she expects me to parent like she does. i dont think i can handle too many more appointments with her

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• remind her that she's there as a speech therapist not supernanny and you will not tolerate her expressing her opinions about your parenting. i would contact her supervisor if that doesn't do the trick (one warning only). in fact, you might want to do that anyway - that shit is upsetting and inappropriate.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 7:06 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• sounds like she's overstepping her bounds...I don't see potty training as having any ties to speech?
    Anonymous

• even my husband got annoyed with her criticizing how we parent and teach the kids, and he went outside. other than speech delayed my kids are smart happy healthy and very independent, we teach them skills when we feel they are capable of doing them.

and im the OP not sure why i hit annon sorry
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 6:34 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• She definitely overstepped. Can you tell her supervisor or someone that can remind her what her job is? Get a new one if you can.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:46 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• she is the only one available through the school for summer therapy. we get services through ESU, and my end goal is to get her into the preschool program at semester, she will be 3 in dec, even the therapist said today that they wont let her in at semester, and i asked why and she said they dont do it that way but for as as long as i remember they always take kids in at semester, i have friends whose kids got in at second semester. ill call the superintendence office monday and if they wont allow her to go to pre school then i may just take her to a private therapist at the hospital
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 6:56 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Find a new therapist.
    Anonymous