How bad do night terrors get before you go take your child to a therapist?

My son is 2 1/2 and wakes up screaming multiple times a night that the "camen" (the alligater from go diego go) are going to get them and they are in this vents and his train picture..this has been going on for months and i DO NOT let him watch that show anymore...but when do i seek help? Will they go away?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:24 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son was having night terrors for a while and it was like every night he was waking up screaming. I decided to try a little at home "psychology" and I gave him a "magic" dog. (just a regular stuffed animal) I told him that when the bad dreams came this "magic" dog would bark and scare off all the bad things. he slept with that dog for about 18mon and then he didn't need it anymore.
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 7:29 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Read about night terrors on this web page: http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/sleep/a/night_terrors.htm

You might also try establishing a regular bedtime routine, for example, at 7:00, take him into his room, sit in a chair or rocker and read him a pleasant story. Hug him and rock him, then lay him down and reassure him that he is safe and that you are nearby. Sit in a chair near his bed until he drifts off to sleep. If you do this same routine every night, his brain will readjust and the night terrors should go away.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 7:33 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Nightmares are related to temperature. Do what you can to lower his body temperature when he sleeps. Turn up the A/C, open a window, remove a blanket or put him in lighter jammies. It's worth a try.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 7:52 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• My grandson had them really bad but they stopped. The pediatrician just said to not try to wake him and to let them leave on their own. No need for a therapist.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:51 PM on Jun. 18, 2010