think son may have a mental disorder

hes almost 10. Has the following symptoms:
forgetfullness
gets bored easy
doesn't like to play with other kids much- says they don't have much in common or want him to act like someone hes not-likes to play alone at school a lot
has ok grades but teachers say he says odd ball things and gets frustrated easy
they say he seems to be spacy a lot and will act like he tunes everyone out
I am wondering if it could be ADD-hes not hyper but seems to not be as mature as other kids his age
any advice will help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:35 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Have you asked your son why he is behaving this way? Talk to him first. If he says he cannot stay focused or that his mind is always on something else, take him to a doctor. Could be he is just in an odd stage, could be that he is bullied at school. Spend some mom time with him and find out what is going on in his head that is keeping him from succeeding at school and in his social life.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 7:42 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• It just takes a test to find out. Have him tested.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:36 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Mention the symptoms to your doctor. I do think ADD/ADHD is over diagnosed. But he may have ADD. But, if he does, his symptoms are very mild and i don't recommend medicating him. There are simple dietary changes that can make a huge difference (even in kids not officially diagnosed).
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 7:38 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• what test? I was told that too many kids are told they have ADD when they actually do not, I dont want to medicate if thats not the way to help him.
    Anonymous

• OP- he told me today that kids make fun of him cause he doesn't act like them. I asked what he does and he said he doesn't like to play inagination games like them and they think he says weird things. He said they act more mature than him and he wants to act like a kid. I agree he should act like himself, the staff at school seem worried that somethings not right and we have noticed for the last 4yrs that he is very forgetfull and seems to be spacy a lot. He says he doesn't really think about anything in particular. When we tell him to go play he says he doesn't know what to do and is bored.
    Anonymous

• Asperger's
    Anonymous

• Autism Spectrum Disorder probably mild to moderate or Asperger's Syndrome which still falls under ASD.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:54 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• maybe i just being optimistic! it sounds to me like he has a chemical sensitivity. there are lots of people out there who simply cannot use cleaning or hygiene products with chemicals in them (things like household cleaners, laundry detergent, shampoo, body wash, even toothpaste) because the chemicals in them (like phosphates or formaldehyde) can disrupt brain activity. it can make kids "spacey" or cause forgetfulness or mimic symptoms like ADD. It can also cause breathing problems or mimic the symptoms of allergies. It can cause skin conditions similar to eczema. most people just pass it off as those "disorders" though. You may just need to make a switch in your house to some naturally based stuff and start him on some good vitamins. check out http://www.HealthySafeAndClean.com there is a lot of information there about health and chemicals.
    Des10ed2b

Answer by Des10ed2b at 8:09 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I think that 2 autisticsmom can be right. I would get him tested and see if thats what he has,
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:29 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Sounds like my nephew. Asperger's syndrome. Look it up.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 8:22 PM on Jun. 19, 2010